skittish pullets: what to do? should I be worried?

I second the comment Treats and Give Them Time.

They will come around but it may take months. I would start by dolling out treats in your hands and don't try to pick them up or pet them. Let them learn that you are good, not evil and that good things happen when you are around.

I have a Jersey Giant who loved to be held as a chick. But wanted nothing to do with me after about 3 months. She's now 9 months old. We had to take her to the vet two weeks ago (which was a disaster in itself) and after that, I need to feel her crop each day. Fortunately, she'll squat for me. So I do it very quickly. Give her a good scratch between the wings with one hand and feel the crop with the other. Then give her a few meal worms.

Now she comes right up to me and while I can tell she doesn't like to be held, she will let me pick her up.

Quote:
I was sort of wondering the same thing...they definitely don't like being picked up but will they get used to it over time? Or will it just stress them out (i.e. I should just leave them alone)?

Quote:
I completely agree with Bratt. I have six girls and they are 12 weeks old. The Rocks are very friendly and two of them I can pick up and cuddle and kiss whenever I want to. The other one likes to sit with me but doesn't like being picked up so much. The Rhodies on the other hand, they are very aloof. One of them will come sit with me from time to time but doesn't like it is I try to pet her. The other two, well, if I try to pick them up you would think I was a coyote! They just don't like being held or sitting with me. I still give them treats and hope for more but if they don't come around that's okay too.

By the way, superworms are great pullet candy!

Back
Top Bottom