Skunk attack

Pics
Nov 22, 2019
NC
I went out to feed my chickens to find 8 dead from a skunk( he didn’t even touch the eggs) Ive never have experience predator attacks before. I feel so much guilt I wish I would have gone out sooner he tried to spray me but couldn’t because he’d already sprayed in the early morning. He won’t be a problem anymore and he wasn’t even bothered that’s I was in there’s he just kept killing. The rest of my flock seem to be okay no obvious injuries.

I take it you killed it. This animal could have been rabid from its behavior. I would turn it over to county health and let them test it for rabies.

I so sorry you had to go through this trauma.
I did.. I killed it with a hoe and when I let up on him he just simply walked over and started attacking my barred rock. I just at a loss of words it’s so hard to hard to think about.

I would not have expected a skunk to kill chickens as there is so much more they can eat that would be an easier dinner. So sorry.
However, birds are on their diet list.
Diet. Skunks are omnivorous, eating both plant and animal material and changing their diets as the seasons change. They eat insects, larvae, earthworms, grubs, rodents, lizards, salamanders, frogs, snakes, birds, moles, and eggs. They also commonly eat berries, roots, leaves, grasses, fungi and nuts.

I killed it with a hoe and when I let up on him he just simply walked over and started attacking my barred rock
Must not have killed it at first?
Did it spray you?

Agrees that carcass, of hopefully fully dead skunk, should be turned over to animal control or DNR.

I would not have expected a skunk to kill chickens as there is so much more they can eat that would be an easier dinner. So sorry.
However, birds are on their diet list.
Diet. Skunks are omnivorous, eating both plant and animal material and changing their diets as the seasons change. They eat insects, larvae, earthworms, grubs, rodents, lizards, salamanders, frogs, snakes, birds, moles, and eggs. They also commonly eat berries, roots, leaves, grasses, fungi and nuts.
I didnt
Must not have killed it at first?
Did it spray you?

Agrees that carcass, of hopefully fully dead skunk, should be turned over to animal control or DNR.
He didn’t spray me because he has sprayed around 5am this morning he tried to spray me but couldn’t. He’s definitely dead now my dad shot him a couple times.

YES, have this skunk tested!!! Call tomorrow first thing in the am, and insist. Animal Control should pick it up and transport it to the state public health lab for testing, chilled, NOT frozen. Wrap it in plastic and don't have it freeze.
Unless you wore rubber gloves when you handled the birds and skunk, you HAVE been exposed, so don't take no for an answer from them. Drive it to the appropriate lab yourself if necessary. Your veterinarian can handle it if AC fails you tomorrow.
Wash up thoroughly! It's the saliva that contains rabies virus, so any fresh saliva on your birds is dangerous, for a few hours perhaps.
I've dealt with this myself, just don't take chances here.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom