Skunk question, fast answer for preference.

LOL. My long range options are 12 gauge over/under or 7mm rem mag. The coon I got a month ago I did in with a pistol, but I don't want to take my chances at pistol range on a skunk!

Oddly enough he didn't try for any of the birds or the feed or come back last night. I'll be keeping an eye out for his return and possibly baiting up some traps tonight. There's a few big dogs in the neighborhood and we do a LOT of shooting so most critters stay pretty clear of this area.

Yeah I hear you on hand guns. If one fits just right (Like my Walther PPK) I can quick shoot really accurate but if I attempt to aim it's all over the place. Loving the .22 magnum air rifle though (just under 900ft/sec with 18 grain). It's not a challenge to get groups of 1" out to 50 yards. For fun I attempt 3" swing targets at 200ft, the amount of drop and compensation for wind that last 50ft is hard to imagine. It's probably like your 7mm magnum past 600yrds- **** hard shot.

I just smelled and thought I caught a glimpse of a skunk in the yard. By the time I grabbed ear protection and my 12 gauge he was gone but I reckon I'll probably be able to get the jump on him later if he comes back.

The question is, how bad am I going to get hit with stink if I give a skunk 2 barrels full of 3" buckshot? Do they "go off" when you shoot them or do they need to be alive?

Ditto if I put out some traps, can I dispatch him quick before he squirts? What's a safe distance from one of these little monsters for applying the finishing touch?

I have a dozen laying hens that I'd just as soon keep and 4 turkeys that at this point I have a lot of money in feed invested into.
Two barrels of 12 ga are gonna make a hell of a mess, but if you're going to go that way, it might be more fun to see if you can get him to sit on a half pound of tannerite.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Yeah I hear you on hand guns. If one fits just right (Like my Walther PPK) I can quick shoot really accurate but if I attempt to aim it's all over the place. Loving the .22 magnum air rifle though (just under 900ft/sec with 18 grain). It's not a challenge to get groups of 1" out to 50 yards. For fun I attempt 3" swing targets at 200ft, the amount of drop and compensation for wind that last 50ft is hard to imagine. It's probably like your 7mm magnum past 600yrds- **** hard shot.

The modern air rifles are amazingly powerful and accurate for sure. Downside is the really nice ones are the price of a regular rifle. Like I said, everybody around here shoots all the time and clipping a varmint any time day or night won't even raise an eyebrow. May be worth the money in the long haul for the cheap plinking though. Ammo is so expensive anymore.

Two barrels of 12 ga are gonna make a hell of a mess, but if you're going to go that way, it might be more fun to see if you can get him to sit on a half pound of tannerite.
big_smile.png
hide.gif
That would be the makings of a viral youtube video. My big issue is just if it comes out at night I probably wont be able to get a clean shot so I'll need that 10-12" margin of error with the scatter gun.

Might it be a good idea to research "skunk repellent" and try to avoid the mess and possible stink altogether?

I'm sure there are many deterrents available. Hopefully inexpensive enough to use rather than the other options.

How fool proof is that? What kind of an area would I need to treat? We have a lot of land here that my hens roam during the day, though even if its just night protection around their coops that might be worth a small investment.

I suppose it'd depend upon what type of repellent you can find to use? I imagine you'd want it near the coop since they come out at night the most, yes?
I'd search FOR you, but my speed is snail-snot-slow.

I suppose it'd depend upon what type of repellent you can find to use? I imagine you'd want it near the coop since they come out at night the most, yes?
I'd search FOR you, but my speed is snail-snot-slow.

I never even heard of that. Up here if we have nuisance animals you either get a big dog or shoot it.

First skunk I've seen or smelled up here in years. Like I said, between dogs and gun owners we simply don't see many varmints around here. I'll ask at the Farmer's Union and see. I'm asking around folks I know today and seem to be getting mixed reviews on whether or not a skunk will go off if you shoot him.

I just smelled and thought I caught a glimpse of a skunk in the yard. By the time I grabbed ear protection and my 12 gauge he was gone but I reckon I'll probably be able to get the jump on him later if he comes back.

The question is, how bad am I going to get hit with stink if I give a skunk 2 barrels full of 3" buckshot? Do they "go off" when you shoot them or do they need to be alive?

Ditto if I put out some traps, can I dispatch him quick before he squirts? What's a safe distance from one of these little monsters for applying the finishing touch?

I have a dozen laying hens that I'd just as soon keep and 4 turkeys that at this point I have a lot of money in feed invested into.
Check this out: http://bfy.tw/2c2L

Yeah, thanks. I actually wasn't even thinking in my excitement but I figured someone here would have tried it for sure.

Seems like a mixed group of answers. So far no sign of his return so if I'm lucky he has moved on. I'll be carrying the over/under after dusk for a week just in case and will report back on the results if we have a showdown.

So to update. The skunk made the mistake of slinking around my chicken food last night and got a dose of 3" magnum buckshot.

He did not "go off" though his mere presence left some lingering aroma and moving him to a good place to decompose was pretty awful.

Really I had to take the chance on it since I figure if he has settled in it's only a matter of time before he starts eating birds or I inadvertently startle him at night and get squirted.

So to update. The skunk made the mistake of slinking around my chicken food last night and got a dose of 3" magnum buckshot.

He did not "go off" though his mere presence left some lingering aroma and moving him to a good place to decompose was pretty awful.

Really I had to take the chance on it since I figure if he has settled in it's only a matter of time before he starts eating birds or I inadvertently startle him at night and get squirted.
Leaving your feed accessible...not a good idea.

I use a shovel to move corpses, hold your breath and never touch them.

Glad you got rid if it...watch for it's brethren.

2 points!

Back
Top Bottom