1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Skunk question, fast answer for preference.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AA Maple, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yeah I hear you on hand guns. If one fits just right (Like my Walther PPK) I can quick shoot really accurate but if I attempt to aim it's all over the place. Loving the .22 magnum air rifle though (just under 900ft/sec with 18 grain). It's not a challenge to get groups of 1" out to 50 yards. For fun I attempt 3" swing targets at 200ft, the amount of drop and compensation for wind that last 50ft is hard to imagine. It's probably like your 7mm magnum past 600yrds- **** hard shot.

2. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Two barrels of 12 ga are gonna make a hell of a mess, but if you're going to go that way, it might be more fun to see if you can get him to sit on a half pound of tannerite.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. AA Maple

AA Maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2015
    The modern air rifles are amazingly powerful and accurate for sure. Downside is the really nice ones are the price of a regular rifle. Like I said, everybody around here shoots all the time and clipping a varmint any time day or night won't even raise an eyebrow. May be worth the money in the long haul for the cheap plinking though. Ammo is so expensive anymore.

[​IMG] That would be the makings of a viral youtube video. My big issue is just if it comes out at night I probably wont be able to get a clean shot so I'll need that 10-12" margin of error with the scatter gun.

How fool proof is that? What kind of an area would I need to treat? We have a lot of land here that my hens roam during the day, though even if its just night protection around their coops that might be worth a small investment.

4. ChicksAre4Kids

ChicksAre4Kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    I suppose it'd depend upon what type of repellent you can find to use? I imagine you'd want it near the coop since they come out at night the most, yes?
    I'd search FOR you, but my speed is snail-snot-slow.

5. AA Maple

Apr 29, 2015
    I never even heard of that. Up here if we have nuisance animals you either get a big dog or shoot it.

First skunk I've seen or smelled up here in years. Like I said, between dogs and gun owners we simply don't see many varmints around here. I'll ask at the Farmer's Union and see. I'm asking around folks I know today and seem to be getting mixed reviews on whether or not a skunk will go off if you shoot him.

6. BBQJOE

Check this out: http://bfy.tw/2c2L

7. AA Maple

Apr 29, 2015
    Yeah, thanks. I actually wasn't even thinking in my excitement but I figured someone here would have tried it for sure.

Seems like a mixed group of answers. So far no sign of his return so if I'm lucky he has moved on. I'll be carrying the over/under after dusk for a week just in case and will report back on the results if we have a showdown.

8. AA Maple

Apr 29, 2015
    So to update. The skunk made the mistake of slinking around my chicken food last night and got a dose of 3" magnum buckshot.

He did not "go off" though his mere presence left some lingering aroma and moving him to a good place to decompose was pretty awful.

Really I had to take the chance on it since I figure if he has settled in it's only a matter of time before he starts eating birds or I inadvertently startle him at night and get squirted.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Leaving your feed accessible...not a good idea.

I use a shovel to move corpses, hold your breath and never touch them.

Glad you got rid if it...watch for it's brethren.

10. BBQJOE

2 points!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by