Skunk wars !!!

Inkheart

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Columbus Ohio
Ok a skunk has visited my place the past several nights - can still smell it in the morning when i let the dogs out and of course they go nuts. Have a very secure barn but i have seen this little rascals muddy feet marks clawing on spots. Is there any advice to deter this stinky critter or just trap it? Plus i am not really wanting to have to clean two stinky dogs if they happen upon it one time!
Thanks

Get rid of any junk or brush piles you may have, and check the foundations of your buildings for signs that something has been digging under. We don't leave food around to attract skunks, but we still have them because we have a couple of buildings that they have burrowed under. We are working on the buildings, and also have started trapping. I'm sick of "Skunk Puppy" and want my dog back. He can't leave them alone, but he doesn't kill them either.

As a rule they aren't too hard to trap--some cat food or a few eggs in the trap as bait should do it. The problem is disposing of them afterwards--takes a calm approach and a blanket over the trap before moving them. Good luck.

I went to check on the birds last night and walked into one coupe and there was Mr. Skunk eating out of the chicken food. Chickens were all roosting at the time but didn't seemed to bothered by the intruder. I am under the impression that they are like raccoons as a predator. He didn't seem that interested in the chickens just in their food. I also recognized that there is a hole underneath the coupe as I went to gently shoo him out of the coupe, he went out and disappeared under the coupe. Not happy with this situation of course, am I correct about the skunks possible intentions to eat my chickens or are they just looking for freebies and to stink up the place?

Get your skunks now because in some places they really slowdown, just like raccoons, badgers, and bears.

I gave the one that showed up here last Wednesday night / Thursday morning a meal of .22, he is now food for the crows or anything else that wants him.

They are trying to fatten up for their winter long naps.

ETA: The term winter long naps, refers to those animals taking long naps during the winter, actually they all are known to go out from time to time in the winter under the correct conditions.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah i have been checking under the front and back porch on the house thinking that they are looking to "play house" under there - but nothing except my barn cat who thougt it was fun to play with the flashlight

Quote:
Well considering that you smelled a skunk like odor, it is likely Pepe, or one of his odoriferous cousins. There are quite a number of them, sometimes an old male raccoon has tangled with so many Pepes that he has a permanent and transferable odor of skunk about him.

Do they pose a huge threat to my hens or more to their food in general? Have dealt with hawks - minks -and the occassional coyote - but never a skunk - the hens are in a barn and a pasture with my goats - does this deter Mr stinky at all?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom