skunks, thread level?

BriardChickens

Songster
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Northern Alberta
Well we had a skunk show up on our porch last night. How big of a thread is it to my chickens? Should I be concerned? I did try to scare it away, but I am sure it'll be back.

Well we had a skunk show up on our porch last night. How big of a thread is it to my chickens? Should I be concerned? I did try to scare it away, but I am sure it'll be back.
As long as their run is secure and the house is secure, they're not a huge threat. They will steal eggs and kill chickens if given the chance.

It's surprising how aggressive an old skunk can be. I once scooted one out of the pen with a hatchet. He'd dug under the fencing and was facing off with the rooster. The kids couldn't find my gun to bring it to me so I grabbed a hatchet from the shed....well the thought of getting sprayed crossed my mind so I ended up pushing him with the hatchet instead. Big old silver male and he was in no way afraid of me.

Had skunks around for years and never worried just knew I was feeding them with chicken feed. Then I lost a pullet at dusk by unknown predator and few days later found that silver male in the pen in broad daylight and blood all over my roosters chest from neck wound and still facing off with him.

It's surprising how aggressive an old skunk can be. I once scooted one out of the pen with a hatchet. He'd dug under the fencing and was facing off with the rooster. The kids couldn't find my gun to bring it to me so I grabbed a hatchet from the shed....well the thought of getting sprayed crossed my mind so I ended up pushing him with the hatchet instead. Big old silver male and he was in no way afraid of me.

Had skunks around for years and never worried just knew I was feeding them with chicken feed. Then I lost a pullet at dusk by unknown predator and few days later found that silver male in the pen in broad daylight and blood all over my roosters chest from neck wound and still facing off with him.
And this is exactly why when I built my run I buried the fencing 3 ft down and 3 ft out, no diggers allowed..lol....animals are sneaky sneaky...lol

Skunks can carry the rabies virus. They are attracted to our houses and coops by smelling all that delicious left over food we leave in our garbage cans and free feeders. And usually have a nice water supply for them to use. Remove all that and they will eventually stop returning. Unfortunately for us with chickens, we have to deal with skunks because they also love eggs and chicks. I shoot skunks I see during the day, and make sure my coop is secure-using hardware cloth for windows-for the night time visitors.

For those who don't have the option of shooting, hire your local 'critter-gitter', or for our more exclusive members, find a wildlife relocation expert. Skunks are one varmint I don't allow to live. I've seen too many of them with rabies and some of them are down right ornery!

Thanks,
I'll make sure grab a skunk trap from our MD this week. He got into our garbage last night, so I hope he more interested in the garbage then my chickens until Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom