Skunks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by reksat, Jul 4, 2011.

1. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    I know these critters are scavengers but do they bother or feast on chickens if given the opportunity ? I have seen one floating around the house lately.

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Yes they will kill and eat chickens and chicks, and will also eat eggs. [​IMG]

3. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Agree with above post... They won't attack chickens though unless there's really not a lot to eat. I had a skunk attack my chickens in winter when there was no food otherwise. Luckily it was a small skunk and couldn't do a lot of damage.

Usually they're nocturnal, when your chickens should be locked up safely. They do come out during the day though if there's something wrong with them (ie rabbid) or they're incredibly hungry.

There's a lot of posts here about skunks... I've caught quite a few in my "have a heartless" traps. Dispatch them with a .22, triple bag them and off to the dump they go. Fels Naptha laundry soap is a must - both for your body and your clothes.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I caught a skunk trying to get into my run one evening. Somehow the pop door was partially shut and all of the birds weren't in their coop. I stomped my foot on the ground and the skunk did the same thing back to me and wasn't afraid of me. I went in and got my.22 and it was good bye skunk. It did stink. I put a bucket over it until I could take care of it in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by