Slackers, or am I expecting too many eggs?

Probably another newbie observance, but besides the all brown eggs that made me think something was wrong (i.e. Easter Egger must be laying brown), there's the Bielefelder that pretends to lay, but doesn't.

So today, she was in the nesting box for about 2 hours. Then I heard what I sure thought is the egg song - she walked out of the box to the top of the ramp, and screamed "kut-kut-ka-DAA!". Then down the ramp and continued yelling. I was certain that means there was an egg. But no. So it sure seems like she's not laying, because I never find one after I see her in the box - but I DO see her in the box.

I have Dark Brahma, love them, will never get them again. Peak of laying season, best I can expect of them is 3 eggs in 5 days. Mine just hit a year old (well, the ones I didn't recently eat, anyways) and they did lay thru their first winter (we are milder, and closer to the equator than you, less variation in daylight) at maybe 2 eggs in 5 days (some of my uncertainty is because I have several breeds laying shades of "pale tan brown" and there's variation in shade even between birds. It can make egg identification "challenging".

My Comets, a red sex link, lay five days of six. Richer brown egg, and larger, no mistaking it. Also laid thru winter at reduced rate (and better than the Brahma). I'll be culling when they hit their first molt, which judging by the pale color of foot and comb might be real soon, or they may get their tint back and give me one more good round before fall.

Like you, its been a learning experience for me, with much help from some of the posters here.

No slackers. Just breeds that lay every two or three days as most traditional breeds do. If you want a tidal wave of eggs, next time you get chicks, pick up some hybrids. These are normally called Sex-links and combine qualities of several breeds that are noted for being prolific layers. They will lay nearly twice as many eggs over their laying years and often lay through the winter as well.

They also have the advantage of being easily sexed at hatch so you will be assured of getting only pullets rather than risking an accidental roo.
Hello! Does Hoover’s sell these sex linked hens? Where can you get them? Will they produce as many eggs as the white leghorns they sold me? They are amazingly prolific layers.

Sex-links or production layers are in high demand from commercial laying operations. They are sold every year at most feed stores or can be ordered directly from any hatchery. These hens are bred to produce twice as many eggs as other breeds. But the price you pay for it is hens that work hard for one or two years, and then their bodies are worn out from it, reproductive issues rear their ugly heads, and many of these hens sicken and die from them.

This isn't a problem for commercial laying businesses. They cycle these hens out every year or two to avoid the reproductive problems. But those of us who keep chickens for eggs and as pets then are faced with trying to treat our sex-links when they get sick. It's heartbreaking.

I got four sex-links a couple years ago. One of them, a Golden Sex-link named Pearl, a smart, lovable character, has developed cancer on her ovaries. I suspect this because she's quit laying, has lost half her body weight, and her comb has turned the color of spoiled bologna. So far, the other three are okay, but I dread their uncertain futures.

I have decided I won't ever buy this breed again. It's one of the immoral and sad consequences of maximizing production and profit at the expense of the animals.

Hello! Does Hoover’s sell these sex linked hens? Where can you get them? Will they produce as many eggs as the white leghorns they sold me? They are amazingly prolific layers.

Yes, Hoovers sells LOTS of them, as do the feed stores, whether they get them from Hoovers or elsewhere. Used to be they would be sold under some pretty generic names "red sex link" and "black sex link", but that's not great branding when you are trying to attract the backyard crowd. So now you see names like "Golden Comet", "Red Star", "ISA Brown", "Production Reds", "Cinnamon Queens", etc - all red sex links. You can't even tell what pairing was used to create the RSL by the name, since some hatcheries call certain pairings "Golden Comets" (for instance), while other hatcheries sell a different pairing as "Golden Comets".

Everything you ever wanted to know about Sex Linked Birds (plus a very lot more)!

I have some Golden Comets (see sig, below) just over a year old. Using them in my culling project to produce eggs fast, some of which will have the "red" (GOLD) gene that I want. Will be culling them as soon as they start showing problems, **or** their offspring start producing chicks of their own with the desired traits (whichever comes first). They really do burn the proverbial candle at both ends, but if your focus is a lot of good sized eggs from a small flock, they are very nearly impossible to beat.

Wow I have that bookmarked to dive into when I am fully caffeinated or perhaps my next acid trip. That is a seriously cool, bad ass deep dive there.

You just said something about the offspring of your sex linked birds which seems at first blush to contradict Rule #1 but I only just skimmed Rule #1!
…so I am not being a smart ass but wondering if you have a website or blog you keep updated with this seriously fascinating stuff. Don’t feel obliged to answer that, just hoping I will understand you better after reading.

I bought my white leghorns as chicks through Tractor Supply in May of 2020 and selected them because they were all that was left after several others were disappearing from my cart.

It turns out I bought the least tame breed and one of the best layers available. Based on what you are saying here though I am thinking you could do even better with your project? What are your desired yields?

As for not being tame? These ladies are the best. If these are the least human friendly I am good. Here we are taking a nap. CAC950B4-6684-4820-BD89-5B9A43A509DA.jpeg
thank you for the reply and the insight this stuff is amazing. Looking forward to reading up and studying 😬👏👏👍

Is it just me, or is the comb very pale on your EE for being a laying hen? I have two EEs that are hopefully going to lay soon who's combs look like yours, and one that is laying and her comb is intensely red.

I have a thread here, search "Making Lemonade". and my birds aren't sex linked, you can't tell gender at birth. I just wanted the gold gene from the comets, and hopefully some of the early lay and large eggs, but i'll give up frequency to put weight on the bones.
Wow glad I asked that is another great read.

who else does this? Your approach seems wonderfully chaotic! How amazing would it be if you did in fact come up with a new breed by just breaking all conventions and just doing what works for the desired results. I truly can’t wait to see what you come up with. I think you say your goal is increased egg production and not a breed you can sell but if someone discovers a new breed of chicken (and by this I mean the way that say, Silkies are different from Easter Eggers) it’s as likely to come from some random experiment by someone such as yourself as it is from a scientist carefully tracking each specimen with a tactical agenda. Especially if you do this for several generations and keep good notes you may discover traits you find desirable that you do not even contemplate now.
I love it. very exciting. Thanks for all your contributions here!

Back
Top Bottom