Slaughter cone alternative?

I've used cheap nylons. Put the bird down the leg head first, cut a small hole for the head and neck. I have found this works well to keep the bird from thrashing, though you still need to tie them up by the legs to suspend them from something. I use a low branch on a tree in the back yard.

Check ebay, I've seen cones for sale on there from someone on this sight..
smile.png

onion sack

plastic wally world bag

cloth shopping bag

milk jug

traffic cone

bleach bottle

large paper bag

cardboard box

I agree...gallon bleach jug. You will have to cut the head opening larger, and it is a little tight on the larger, heavier birds. If you use the squattier type jugs, they are wide enough. You just have to look for them.
wink.png
I nail mine to a tree, and usually save up about 3-4 before DH goes on a cleaning spree in the garage.
roll.png

Good luck! It's the easiest and cheapest thing I've found!
thumbsup.gif

Shelly

Some of my DP roos won't fit in a 2 gallon jug, much less 1 gallon. I need to buy bleach in 3 gallon jugs, I guess! I've got a roll of some kind of easy to cut metal, I might try that. I tried sliding a knee high stockings over a bird, but it slid back off when the bird started flapping and got all tangled around his head. I should've tied it around the legs.

Somebody posted about using sleeves from old shirts, legs from old pants. Those sound good, too. And washable. I personally don't care if they're stained.

I really like the metal cones. I made one a few months ago and made two more today. The metal is under $5 and they only take a few minutes to make. I made two in about 20 minutes or so today.

I had never bought my bleach in such a large bottle before, but I did recently, esp for the bottles to be used for this purpose. I have warned everyone in the house not to throw them away. Not sure how well this will work out for me. I hang my birds by their feet and slit the throats anyway. The cone will stop the flapping. Maybe I will be pleased with the end result.

Quote:
14 lb orp? Now that's cool. I had a buff orp roo that probably weighed about 9 or 10lb. The only orps I've had were hatchery stock, they didn't get nearly the size the better quality orps do.

Mine DP cross-breeds wouldn't fit into the jug. I couldn't get them in past the shoulders. They're part Brahma, really broadly built birds. That's just the biggest ones, the ones that dress out over 6-7 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom