Slaughter cone alternative?

The Resident Nomad

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
So I'm going to be slaughtering in less than a week 1/2! I want to use the cone method just because I personally think its better for the meat and is still humane for the birds. I haven't been able to find any of these cones at the local feed stores and was wondering if anyone knew of any ideas for "homemade" cones or alternative cones. For example, I've seen people use upside down traffic cones and I've seen someone use a plastic gallon milk jug. It'd be nice to hear your ideas.

Use the pattern for a metal killing cone, and instead of using aluminium flashing use a large piece of an old cardboard box.

It's disposable, so no cleaning is needed.

Sorry, I should have said disposable/compostable.
smile.png

Since you're just doing 5, you could do when I did when I started out -- use an old pillow case with a corner cut out. Put the whole bird in the pillow case with the head sticking out the hole, and tie up the pillow case to a sturdy nail or a tree branch. It'll be a little messy and you'll have to untie it each time, but for so few birds it won't be too bad, and you can just toss out the pillowcase when you're done.

I use a 2 gal. bleach jug and it works lovely....from larger birds down to smaller. Its easily washable and you can dispose of it easily if you no longer need it. And it comes from something most folks throw away anyway, so it could be considered recycling or repurposing.

The best part? I didn't have to buy one!
big_smile.png

Cut down traffic cone takes about a minute to cut down and works perfect. Depending on the size you may need to cut the large and small ends down.

It works great for me and easy to hose off when you are finished.

And in this part of the world readily available as there is much road work. You may need to make a late night procurement. LOL. just kidding I seemed to have a couple laying around I am guessing from when the kids were young and did such raids for no reason whatsoever.

just in the future and you want to buy some metal cones, they sell them at eggcartons.com

if & when i ever start doing meat birds, the bleach jug sounds like a good idea, but if i'll be doing it alot, i'd prefer the metal cones

I know it would seem like they are not sturdy enough for the job, but I mounted mine on a tree and the tree supports the jug and the weight of the bird. The 2 gal. are very sturdy and seem to cup the body well so that there is no hard surfaces upon which to strain against. The good part about using the jugs is that there is always a supply for if you want to replace, hang more, change position, etc.

And...did I mention? You use the bleach and then the jug is virtually FREE. Free is good! You can even get out of buying the bleach by asking others to save you some of their bleach jugs!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes! Free is good! I think like that, too.

I have a 2 gallon bleach jug cone. It's not big enough for my biggest roos, the DP's. I like the idea of the cardboard cones, too, I have plenty of free cardboard. Then into the compost heap with it. I need to make more cones, so I can do a group of birds all at once. I prefer to hang up several at a time, do all the slaughter, then get on with the rest of the processing.

The big home improvement stores like Lowe's and Home Depot carry traffic cones, so you can get them without risking arrest. Jaku makes and sells metal cones.

One of the other BYC'ers (maybe Sunnyside? I forget) mentions now and then that she uses duct tape around the wings to keep hers from flapping, and I tried that on the last batch I butchered, it worked very well. Kept the wings from getting damaged, and kept them from beating me with them while I held the heads down to bleed, (to keep the cuts open wide, so they bleed out faster) and cuts out most of the splatter factor.

Back
Top Bottom