SLAUGHTERING QUAIL

For the longest time ( I grew up in east Texas ) when I was little up to I was 15 my grandma always wanted to show me how to kill them for meat but I could not so every time she tried to show me when we had meat birds ready to be slaughtered she would always end up haveing to do it with me crying in my tree house yes I admit it I cried over a chicken when I was 14 ok I was a softie. (I usually was with my grandparents when I was little because my parents were in the military) even though I could go hunting and not have a problem. But yeah anyways it's really really hard to kill em I still kinda tear up when I do kill em

this is kina funny how differently folks are raised when I was 10 yo ( 1968) I was told if I did not kill the chicken for the week we could not eat the next day I been eating ever since :)

Been reading some of these comments I just began raising quail recently but I have kinda taught myself in my mind that the quail aren't PETS they are FOOD to help support my family and I think that's the best way to go about it. I have yet to butcher one but I think thatll still be my mind set when I do go to do that.. They aren't a dog or cat they are animals we can eat and supply food for our families! :)

exactly, people these days don't know what real food is and don't know how to raise and process their own food. people are getting lazy and they get to attached to animals that are food.

I also use the quail eggs and make pickled quail eggs and sell them at a local country store for $6.00 a jar. REDNECK QUAIL FARM

I do ours Mark offers to clean the litter boxes for the cats works for me anyway I too love my Quail I thank them for giving me joy and nurishment and pray that they feel nothing when i pop off their heads I dont cry but i do feel a loss .

Not easy and No i dont like doing it but with 23 roos over 25 hen even Mother nature does survival of the fittest and we eat what we grow and do the best we can keeping them healthy and happy

if i end up with too many babies in the box they get over crowded andstart pecking at each other starting at the eyes . id Rather eat thw ones that dont fit conformation or have issues that would cause me not to keep them as breeders Egg layers yes but extra roos would be cruel to let loose as they are not raised by a momma i am their momma .
and momma kicks babies out at 18 yrs old so i think this momma can cull a few roos

Back
Top Bottom