Sleeping behaviour: One sleeps on coop's roof, other on food tray.

chicharita

Hatching
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Three weeks ago I adopted two young laying hens. When unleashed from the cardboard box, it was immediately clear that the Sussex ponte (Chicha) was the leader and the Shaver 579 (Rita) the subservient one. This also translates to their sleeping positions: Chicha on the coop's roof (about 125 cm high), Rita on a food tray next to the coop (about 20 cm from the ground).

I woke them up one evening and pushed them inside the coop, but the next early morning I noticed they had taken their previous positions again.

Do I have to repeat this every evening until they surrender and stay inside the coop?

(Rita takes her sleeping position on the food tray about 1 hour before bossy Chicha)

Is there any other trick I can use to get them to sleep inside?

Will they, once it gets colder, discover the warmth of the coop themselves?

What is the arrangement inside? Do they have a roost like one they were used to? I'd consult the previous owner...
hmm.png

There's a roost inside that's big enough for four. I have no idea what the previous owner had...

The one that already lays eggs does go inside the coop each day to lay in one of its two nest compartments.

Good comment, Warren. I assume I have to take charge and show them where to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom