If vitamin deficiency - how long before you see improvement

See if the vitamin E and vitamin B complex will help. It can take some time to work, so don't give up too early in case you don't want to cull
Thank you, I'm moe assured than this morning, where I thought it would be Marek.
When I saw her completely distorted I nearly was ready to ask my neighbor (who's raising chickens for eating) to put an end to her, thinking she was suffering. I'm not ready to cull myself it seems, even in time of need.
Then I got her out and gave the vitamins and she seemed better. I'm not thinking she's suffering so as long she eats sometimes and drink I'll give her a chance.

I am posting a link to the thread I made for my little Bernadette who went lame at 3 weeks and recovered after a lot of very intensive vitamin B2 supplement and physical therapy.
She is now top hen so there was a happy ending but it was quite a journey.
It took 8 days to see any improvement at all and then suddenly she was back to normal after 10 days.
I tailed off the vitamins and she relapsed (different leg went lame). I nearly euthanized her because she couldn't walk but she recovered again after more B2 supplement.
Overall I think she ended up getting heavy doses of B2 for more than a month. And since then she has been more than fine.
Hope that helps, and I hope if you glance through Bernie's thread it will help you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/3-week-old-chick-with-a-bad-leg-any-advice-please.1519956/
Thank you for your thread, I read part of it this morning. It helps to see there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
She seems to respond a bit to the vitamins, so will go from here and see where it leads. I just wasn't't sure of the timeline after treatment, when to throw the towel. For now she's improving a tiny bit. We'll see if it sticks.

Could she have gotten bit or stung by some poisonous insect or critter?

Regarding the vitamin supplement, it can take days to weeks to see improvement depending on which vitamins were deficient.

If you see her already getting better after one day only, you might stop the daily supplementation after one week and go to supplementing just once a week as the chick feed contains artificial vitamins as well and overdoing it can be harmful also.

Check the milling date on your feed bag, the added artificial vitamins decay rather quickly after 6-7 months.
Wow, that I was not aware of... You outta do a while article about beings it's looking like so many are dealing with this right now!

Could she have gotten bit or stung by some poisonous insect or critter?

Regarding the vitamin supplement, it can take days to weeks to see improvement depending on which vitamins were deficient.

If you see her already getting better after one day only, you might stop the daily supplementation after one week and go to supplementing just once a week as the chick feed contains artificial vitamins as well and overdoing it can be harmful also.

Check the milling date on your feed bag, the added artificial vitamins decay rather quickly after 6-7 months.
B vitamins decay quite rapidly and even faster if exposed to light.
The good news is that for the B vitamins - particularly B2 which is the main one required for nerve myelination - are water soluble and extremely safe. Basically any excess is just removed as waste.
The vet who saw little Bernadette told me not to worry about overdosing on B2 (basically doesn’t happen) so I gave her very large doses.

B vitamins decay quite rapidly and even faster if exposed to light.
The good news is that for the B vitamins - particularly B2 which is the main one required for nerve myelination - are water soluble and extremely safe. Basically any excess is just removed as waste.
The vet who saw little Bernadette told me not to worry about overdosing on B2 (basically doesn’t happen) so I gave her very large doses.
I only got a vitamin B complex for rabbits, but I think it does the trick, I giver her every few hours some drops directly to the beak. The vitE she's not fond of , but I manage to get some down mixed in something.

I only got a vitamin B complex for rabbits, but I think it does the trick, I giver her every few hours some drops directly to the beak. The vitE she's not fond of , but I manage to get some down mixed in something.
Vitamin B Complex is easily available at the pharmacy as a human supplement. As the weeks dragged on I ordered B2 drops on line.

Vitamin B Complex is easily available at the pharmacy as a human supplement. As the weeks dragged on I ordered B2 drops on line.
Not in France apparently :) I was in three Pharmacies, but they only had B12 or Multivitamin. So I ordered online, not sure how to dose the capsules available I opted for the B Complex for animals in liquid.
I'll have a look for drops for humans.

Back
Top Bottom