Sleeping in their nest boxes?

I had a problem with them sleeping in the boxes even though the perches were higher, so I placed some boards over the boxes at night. The first few nights I went out and put all of them on the perches and now they are just used to it :D I think they got the bad habit from when they were chicks and found it to hard to climb the perch.

Last winter I always had at least one hen that was broody sitting in a nestbox. And as usual, everyone always wants to lay in that box...so it was great! No frozen eggs....kind of hoping someone goes broody here soon.

i have a hen sleeping and pooping in the nest boxes think shes being bullied by the others shouldni move her or let her have a bit of peace??

bally-You don't think shes broody? I would just leave her as long as there are other nestboxes for the others. If not, I would let them figure out the whole pecking order and meanwhile shes doing what she needs to to feel safe.IMHO

I had gone through that phase and broke my chickens of doing that by conditioning them. While they are in the nest box, I open and close the lid to the nest box to condition them that I will be getting in and out of their nest. I also conditioned them not to roost on the entrance to the nest box by placing a spiky plastic thing that screws in. This keeps them from roosting in the wrong spot. I have also conditioned my birds from a juvenile age, that I will be in and out of their chicken yard to give them food and water. We also have a roosting bar all across the back wall of the coop for them to sleep on. They don't sleep in the nest box anymore for me, and anytime I come out to see them they meet me at the chicken run gate. Hope this helps.

i have a hen sleeping and pooping in the nest boxes think shes being bullied by the others shouldni move her or let her have a bit of peace??

I had 3 hens, then rescued 4 hoarder hens who were frightened, pale, malnourished and dehydrated with diarrhea. The initial three wouldn't allow any of them to roost and they were forced to sleep in the boxes to avoid constant harassment. Sometimes they were too afraid to even come inside at dusk and it was Dec and negative 5-10 degs. (I wound up needing to bring 2 of them in the house for health issues.) The other two, I let them sleep wherever they could in the coop until they were healthier and accepted. They just didn't have the energy to fight my big healthy ones. Now all 7 are together and no one ever sleeps in the boxes and I didn't have to do anything to force the issue. (I did add a small portable roost at the same height but not attached to the main roost.)

If your baby is being bullied, I say give her some peace. Hens can be nasty for no apparent reason. Can you give her another portable roost until they work things out?

I currently have 3 hens and one of them - the most prolific layer - has taken to sleeping in a nest. One of the others pecks her if she jumps onto the roosting perch so she feels safe there. I tried to change the habit but I have given up. She likes it in the nest. She lays almost EVERY day (on a 17 day streak now) and seems happy. I just clean out the poop each morning when I let them out. Not so bad.

S.

Back
Top Bottom