Sleeping pills

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenbaguette, Sep 25, 2011.

1. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Do sleeping pills work for chickens? If not, what else will put a chicken to sleep?

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Why would you want to give your chickens sleeping pills?

3. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    ???

Mine usually just go to sleep after it gets dark. Are you trying to put it to sleep (kill it), trying to sedate it for a procedure or what?

4. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    What??
    [​IMG]

darkness.

5. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    Okay, I didn't explain that very well.
    I need to kill a chicken. A very ill chicken. It's not tame. I want to touch/hold it as little as possible. None of this being held upside down to hypnotise it stuff works on her, doesn't seem to work on bantams. Therefore if I tried slit her throat or shoved a knife into her brain I'd probably get it wrong because she'd be flapping about. Also, no one in my family has ever killed a chicken before and doesn't know anything about it.

I can't get an injection either. Therefore, I need to feed her something, because that's the only certain way. What can I feed her that will kill her peacefully and relatively quickly without making her sick first?

Thank you.

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I am so sorry you have this situation. I would think they would work to put her to sleep but I'm no expert. Good luck.[​IMG]

7. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I dont think you should give the sleeping pills. You dont know if they will work or what effects, if any, it will take on her. It could be a toxin to chickens, it could be a long slow death. If I were in your position I would use ether (starting fluid) on a rag and put her and the soaked rag in an air tight area(like a bucket with a lid.). When she's asleep I would take her out and cut her throat. Sorry you are in this situation. [​IMG]

8. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    Thank you, CrazyCatNChickenLady. I might do the ether thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by