Sleeping too much? 6 day old SS

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
I picked up my speckled Sussex yesterday at the feed store when I went there just to look. Anyways, my SS Maple had some poo stuck to her but, I washed it and ended up blow drying her gently. She is eating and drinking fine and I have probios in the water along with starter feed. Actually, a lot of the birds had pasty butt in the other bins. Grrrrrr..... I wish I had the room to rescue sick ones. I'd take them all if I could and rehome them.

I've noticed she sleeps a lot. Everytime I check in the brooder, she is sleeping. When I clean the brooder or talk with her new sisters, she is up and eating. Is it normal for her to sleep so much? She is about 1.5-2 weeks younger then the rest of the flock. Oh, I did catch her pecking sunshine in the eye. I hope she is not sick and just sleepy from all the traveling.

chickens027.jpg

Last edited:
When my BO was a chick, she was my sleepyhead of the group. She was less than half as active as the others. She grew up to be a very calm, sweet girl. And she's STILL my least active hen...lol. But she's perfectly healthy.
smile.png
As long as your chick is eating, drinking, and pecking others in the eye
tongue.png
I'd say she'll be just fine.

I was worried for a long time because I have a buff silkie that just seemed to sleep. It is now 3 weeks and more active. For a time I was worried it had cocci or was going to die. But nope, just a sleept chick!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom