Sleeping too much? 6 day old SS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I picked up my speckled Sussex yesterday at the feed store when I went there just to look. Anyways, my SS Maple had some poo stuck to her but, I washed it and ended up blow drying her gently. She is eating and drinking fine and I have probios in the water along with starter feed. Actually, a lot of the birds had pasty butt in the other bins. Grrrrrr..... I wish I had the room to rescue sick ones. I'd take them all if I could and rehome them.

I've noticed she sleeps a lot. Everytime I check in the brooder, she is sleeping. When I clean the brooder or talk with her new sisters, she is up and eating. Is it normal for her to sleep so much? She is about 1.5-2 weeks younger then the rest of the flock. Oh, I did catch her pecking sunshine in the eye. I hope she is not sick and just sleepy from all the traveling.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

When my BO was a chick, she was my sleepyhead of the group. She was less than half as active as the others. She grew up to be a very calm, sweet girl. And she's STILL my least active hen...lol. But she's perfectly healthy. [​IMG] As long as your chick is eating, drinking, and pecking others in the eye [​IMG] I'd say she'll be just fine.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Thanks, I was a little worried.

4. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I was worried for a long time because I have a buff silkie that just seemed to sleep. It is now 3 weeks and more active. For a time I was worried it had cocci or was going to die. But nope, just a sleept chick![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by