Sleepy Chick... Cocci? Help please!

dancechick915

Songster
Sep 24, 2015
Southern California
DE4DCDF7-42F3-4B77-A10B-6A08A95A98A6.jpeg 05F1CD56-1E64-480D-9E41-FBD3804A1682.jpeg 993A4F6C-B0B3-4213-9411-89986A9A8852.jpeg
Any ideas if there’s something wrong? My sweet little chick is acting extra tired today. It just started a few hours ago. All the other chicks are running around as usual and this one is just laying here. It’s usually the first one to inspect everything and boss everyone around (I named it Roo for now because I feel it’s probably a rooster). No unusual poops that I could see and I’m constabtly cleaning their brooder (even though I always seem to take photos right before I clean it). Should I go get some Corid just in case of cocci? They’re on unmedicated feed. Anything else it might be? Do some chicks just get random times of extreme sleepiness?
2ADACE5D-8D07-458C-8DDD-FA1180955DE9.jpeg
Also here’s a photo of the whole gang just a few days ago and today below.
36503E0F-64A3-4594-8750-B5387F9BD6E7.jpeg

How old are they?

Treating for cocci WON'T hurt... and it is the most likely cause at this age... other than shipping stress/failure to thrive (due to internal issues).

You are correct just laying there when everyone else is running around is NOT normal.

Other than cocci...

Impacted crop from shavings?

:fl

How old are they?

Treating for cocci WON'T hurt... and it is the most likely cause at this age... other than shipping stress/failure to thrive (due to internal issues).

You are correct just laying there when everyone else is running around is NOT normal.

Other than cocci...

Impacted crop from shavings?

:fl

They’re around 2 weeks old (I got them last Sunday from TSC and they didn’t know the exact age but guessed around a week). So yesterday I called everywhere to find Corid, left to go pick it up, came back and switched out their water and by that time all seemed normal. I’m still going to keep treating them all just in case but it was just so strange! As of today everybody seems to be their happy chirping selves so fingers crossed it stays that way!

They’re around 2 weeks old (I got them last Sunday from TSC and they didn’t know the exact age but guessed around a week). So yesterday I called everywhere to find Corid, left to go pick it up, came back and switched out their water and by that time all seemed normal. I’m still going to keep treating them all just in case but it was just so strange! As of today everybody seems to be their happy chirping selves so fingers crossed it stays that way!
Hah, like taking your car to the mechanic! :duc

Glad that babe seems better... I also would continue treatment just because it won't hurt. And don't supplement vitamins during that time since it works by blocking thiamine to starve out the cocci and slow their growth, so the chick can develop more resistance to fight it off better.

Sometimes if it's just a chick sleeping while the others are up... then she could just be conked out. I will give them a little jostle to see how they respond. True lethargy goes right back to sleep.

They’re around 2 weeks old (I got them last Sunday from TSC

Possibly Wednesday hatched/shipped chicks.. arriving at TSC on Friday... they still look pretty young. It can be easy to miss a pasty butt sometimes, so always double check that if you see someone starting to slow down or droop wings.

Bunch'a little cuties! Looks like you got a fun mix there. :love

Hah, like taking your car to the mechanic! :duc

Glad that babe seems better... I also would continue treatment just because it won't hurt. And don't supplement vitamins during that time since it works by blocking thiamine to starve out the cocci and slow their growth, so the chick can develop more resistance to fight it off better.

Sometimes if it's just a chick sleeping while the others are up... then she could just be conked out. I will give them a little jostle to see how they respond. True lethargy goes right back to sleep.

Possibly Wednesday hatched/shipped chicks.. arriving at TSC on Friday... they still look pretty young. It can be easy to miss a pasty butt sometimes, so always double check that if you see someone starting to slow down or droop wings.

Bunch'a little cuties! Looks like you got a fun mix there. :love

I called that Tuesday and they didn’t have bantams and called again on Thursday and they did so I’m thinking they got in there last Thursday and went in Sunday (so maybe they’re about a 1 1/2 weeks now). I had two that had pasty butts when I got home. Cleaned them up and have been rechecking each day and no reoccurrences so far. I’ve even been weighing them because I’m neurotic like that! They’re definitely a fun mix and I’m hoping mostly pullets! One thing I have noticed though is that the one that was acting sick yesterday sometimes likes to sleep with one foot curled under. Is this normal?
E3BCF16B-6989-45E8-B58A-E2A44AF8D2FF.jpeg

Last edited:
I came to check this thread because I also had a lethargic chick. Noticed her around 12:30pm. I watched a few videos went back to check, and she's already dead. My question is if I need to be doing anything to protect the rest of the birds. They all seem five.

Is this normal?
When they are laying on their side, yes. I was also thinking 1.5 weeks old. We all seem to have a little bit of that neurotic stuff going on! :p

I came to check this thread because I also had a lethargic chick. Noticed her around 12:30pm. I watched a few videos went back to check, and she's already dead. My question is if I need to be doing anything to protect the rest of the birds. They all seem five.
Sorry for your loss. :(

How old are your chicks and where did you get them from? How long have you had them? All to help decided the correct answer to your question.

Got them from some local farm. Was told they were 3-4 days old last Sunday, so a week and a half? There were four RIR and two Pekin duckings. The other chicks are growing stronger and developing to feathers, but that one hadn't yet.

Back
Top Bottom