Sleepy duckling not eating much HELP!

So Sage is definitely not growing the way Nutmeg is (had me googling if there’s such a thing as a bantam khaki Campbell 😉). As far as the poop, it is affected by what they eat, so if she is only eating scrambled eggs then her poop looks as if she’s only eating scrambled eggs. I’m a little concerned about their water, is it deep enough to dip their whole bill and clear out their nares? I know you were concerned about a noise from one of them. Typically you want them to be able to dunk their whole head basically. I’m still at a loss for what else to do to help Sage. I feel like you’ve done all you can and have to wait and see. She’ll either perk up (and just be a slow grower) or she won’t make it. Hoping for the best for you.

So Sage is definitely not growing the way Nutmeg is (had me googling if there’s such a thing as a bantam khaki Campbell 😉). As far as the poop, it is affected by what they eat, so if she is only eating scrambled eggs then her poop looks as if she’s only eating scrambled eggs. I’m a little concerned about their water, is it deep enough to dip their whole bill and clear out their nares? I know you were concerned about a noise from one of them. Typically you want them to be able to dunk their whole head basically. I’m still at a loss for what else to do to help Sage. I feel like you’ve done all you can and have to wait and see. She’ll either perk up (and just be a slow grower) or she won’t make it. Hoping for the best for you.
Thank you so so much! Yes Sage has me worried with her size. I am going out of town for the weekend...and I'm pretty worried about leaving her. I don't know who in my family would be willing to go out there and smash scrambled eggs up onto their fingertips and try to get this duckling to eat. As far as the water, I've noticed Nutmeg has been able to clear her nares in the dish, but I will be changing it soon since she is growing so much. I have yet to see Sage blow her nares out in water, even the few times I had her go "swimming" in shallow water. I have yet to let her go swimming again because she inhaled that water and gave me the scare of a lifetime. She puts her whole beak under but doesn't blow out like Nutmeg does... I would like to get more ducklings...to either help Sage or to keep Nutmeg company if she doesn't make it. My parents aren't sure but I really think we should.

If I wanted to get liquid B complex for me ducks what kind and where do I get it?

At TSC they usually carry Durvet liquid B complex it will say injectable but we just peel off the foil open the rubber stopper and pull out what we need. For sage 1/2 ml would be good for a start.
On this link there are other brands in case TSC doesn't have the Durvet
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Okay I am worried now since you say you are going away for the weekend and you don't know anyone in your family who will make sure sage is eating? Any friends who have ducks that would care for her while your gone?

As far as the water...
I've seen pictures of special waterers for ducklings: either a plastic jug with a hole cut in the side, or a plastic food-storage container with a hole cut in the lid.

Either one can have deep enough water for the ducklings to submerge their entire head, but they cannot get their whole body in to get wet, and they are less able to make the water dirty by throwing things in it.

Of course you need to get the hole size correct, so they can put in their head but not body.

Having just one water container instead of two would give them more space to move around, which would also be good.

At TSC they usually carry Durvet liquid B complex it will say injectable but we just peel off the foil open the rubber stopper and pull out what we need. For sage 1/2 ml would be good for a start.
On this link there are other brands in case TSC doesn't have the Durvet
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
Okay I am worried now since you say you are going away for the weekend and you don't know anyone in your family who will make sure sage is eating? Any friends who have ducks that would care for her while your gone?
Ok great thanks! I'll have to figure something out for while I'm gone but I will! Also I finally was able to get a good look in her mouth and everything in there looked normal! I checked out Nutmeg too and she looked good also. ALSO! I put a little dish of scrambled eggs in there again and turned my back for a second and I turned back to find Sage gobbling it up!!! I've been leaving egg bits on top of their crumbles and they always get eaten, (but I'm guessing by Nutmeg) but I'll be leaving a separate dish now too!!! It gave me some hope seeing Sage trying to help herself finally!
I've seen pictures of special waterers for ducklings: either a plastic jug with a hole cut in the side, or a plastic food-storage container with a hole cut in the lid.

Either one can have deep enough water for the ducklings to submerge their entire head, but they cannot get their whole body in to get wet, and they are less able to make the water dirty by throwing things in it.

Of course you need to get the hole size correct, so they can put in their head but not body.

Having just one water container instead of two would give them more space to move around, which would also be good.
Great info thank you!

Oh and also, if I get the B complex, can I draw it out of the bottle with a needle? We have brand new needles and syringes since we have emergency steroids for our horses who have heaves. We sometimes have to give the horses injections so thats why I have them, but I have a lot, so could I use those to get it out of the bottle you think? I would NEVER try to inject it into a duckling please know thats not what I mean lol. And how much water do I add to the 1/2 ml?

Oh and also, if I get the B complex, can I draw it out of the bottle with a needle? We have brand new needles and syringes since we have emergency steroids for our horses who have heaves. We sometimes have to give the horses injections so thats why I have them, but I have a lot, so could I use those to get it out of the bottle you think? I would NEVER try to inject it into a duckling please know thats not what I mean lol. And how much water do I add to the 1/2 ml?
You would just syringe feed the B complex straight (but you have to be careful not to aspirate the duck), I had some luck just putting drops on our ducks bill last year or squirting it into a small cup and it “lapping” it up. It does stain though.

Back
Top Bottom