Sleepy duckling not eating much HELP!

Pics
Hey yall Sage is doing worse. Shes struggling to walk now, and doesn't really want to eat egg from my hand anymore. I have started getting her out and opening her beak and putting some in there. She gladly gobbles it up that way. I even got some of the crumbles wet and had her eat some of those too. She won't eat the egg if it has B complex on it so I ended up putting drops in her beak...which she flung right out immediately. I did get SOME in her though and put more in her water. Then fact is...shes going downhill....and I don't think she will make it....is there anything else I should try?? Its been super hard for me watching her go through this and I just wish I could save her but am not sure if I can anymore. :hit 😣😰 I feel so awful.

Hey yall Sage is doing worse. Shes struggling to walk now, and doesn't really want to eat egg from my hand anymore. I have started getting her out and opening her beak and putting some in there. She gladly gobbles it up that way. I even got some of the crumbles wet and had her eat some of those too. She won't eat the egg if it has B complex on it so I ended up putting drops in her beak...which she flung right out immediately. I did get SOME in her though and put more in her water. Then fact is...shes going downhill....and I don't think she will make it....is there anything else I should try?? Its been super hard for me watching her go through this and I just wish I could save her but am not sure if I can anymore. :hit 😣😰 I feel so awful.
Sometimes they just don’t make it. When we got chicks we had 1 go down FAST. Like I noticed that morning it wasn’t growing like the others and just “off” and by afternoon she was gone. Just take comfort in knowing you did all you could. If she makes it, a miracle! If not, I’d def rec getting a friend or 2 for your remaining duck.

Your doing all you can, I know it's hard to watch and feel so helpless. Have you ever heard of failure to thrive? it happens in poultry it can even happen in humans. Best thing you can do is keep up with what you are doing and pray she makes it. What is going on with sage could very well be genetic since she is so young. I'm sorry other than support for her I'm not sure there is much else you can do.
I wish you could have gotten a couple of ducklings for Nutmeg though I don't think the chicks are going to bring comfort to her as a duckling would.

Thank you both so much. I have been calling around...and my family REALLY doesn't want more pekins but a bunch of stores have them so I might pick some up. I'll call a few more about an hour away. I'll let you know what I here.

Bigger than Nutmeg? (Like older) Or just a different breed bigger?
Bigger as in older, but not too much bigger than nutmeg. They are a different breed I think though. They look like khaki campbells, but the TSC said they also had golden 300s so idk. The more I look at them next to these new ducks the more I feel like Sage and Nutmeg might be cayugas and the new ones might be khaki campbells. I'm not sure though. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

How much are you giving her at one time? she can have half ml up to age 14 days after 14 days 1ml you can break it up into 2X morn and evening. How is she?
Ok. I tried to give her a 1/2 ml the other day but I know she didn't get it all and I'm not sure how much she got. I'll try again this morning. Shes not too well...this morning she didn't get up when I reached in there while the other ducklings scattered. When she does walk/stumble she limps. Her left leg seems weaker or like not able to be used. When I got her out to feed her, she tried "run" right off my leg. I had to grab her before she fell. She did gobble some egg up too. Last night I got a lot of the crumbles down her by prying her beak open and setting some in there. Once I got some in her mouth she gobbled it up greedily. By a lot I mean probably around a teaspoon maybe? Give or take. I'm going out to feed her and give her some B complex now.

Back
Top Bottom