Sleepy Girl all the time past 2 weeks..

Got all supplies...getti g ybe pedilyte in ml by ml.. 2 so far... she a little grumpy... but trying a little at a time..
Found the paste .. but later for that

I got syringe..no tube yet... have to wait ... i cant do this by myself..she drinking a little at a time. Pics wont load either

I got syringe..no tube yet... have to wait ... i cant do this by myself..she drinking a little at a time. Pics wont load either
Syringing a little at a time can be very stressful *and* dangerous! Please, get a tube, I'll teach you.
big_smile.png
Forgot to mention that fluids should be warmed, not hot, but warm. With a tube you will be able to give fluids in less than one minute.

-Kathy

Look in the horse section too, you can use the horse paste dewormer- about a pea-sized dose on the roof of the mouth like you would torture your dog with peanut butter. It is very hard to overdose with fenbendazole so a pea-sized amount may sound inexact but its all good and a higher dos MAYBE will help with tapes.

You can't rule out the possibility of tapes even if you don't see them in the feces. I don't know about anyone else, but we had a terrible time with tapes this year (I found at least three different species of eggs in thier feces) and I had to break down and use prazi/moxi paste. Luckily nobody got sick from the treatment and egg production went up drastically.

The Safeguard horse paste dose for chickens can be measured exactly, 1ml of paste = 1ml of liquid, both have 100mg/fenbendazole. Most people here know I'm a little OCD about weighing and dosing according to weight, so I have verified this.

The most effective Safeguard dose (paste or liquid) is 0.23ml orally for five days. That dose will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and maybe some species of tapeworms.

I decided to do some weighing and math. As it turns out, you would give the same amount of paste as you would the liquid. For example, if you usually give a bird one cc of the liquid, you would give one cc of the paste.

Let me know if this is not clear enough since I seem to have trouble writing what I mean, lol.

It's important to understand how much your bird weighs and how many mg/kg your bird should get. Giving too little worming medication can cause resistance to wormers. Do you have any idea how many mg's of wormer are in a "pea size" amount? Well I was curious, so I measured it.

From left to right:
Small Pea = 10mg ( .1cc) = enough for a 200 gram (7 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Medium Pea = 25mg (.25cc) = enough for a 500 gram (17 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Large Pea = 50mg ( .5cc) = enough for a 1000 gram (35 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
50 mg/kg is what my vets recommended.

Panacur is the same as Safeguard.

Weighed empty 6cc (ml) syringe

Filled with Panacur 10% paste and weighed. Difference is 6 grams, so 6 grams = 6cc's (ml)

-Kathy

Edited to add these:

Edited to add:

The Zimectrin Gold horse paste dose (for tapes) can also be done this way.
Weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2, times 10, divide by 77.5 = The amount Zimectrin Gold to give. Example for a five pound hen:

5 ÷ 2.2 x 10 ÷ 77.5 = 0.3 ml of Zimectrin Gold to treat tapeworms in a five pound hen.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom