Sleepy/lethargic chick

Kennykbe

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 28, 2007
I got 20 chicks Friday that were hatched Wed. AM. They are Golden Comets. One chick doesn't seem to be doing all that great. The others are all runnibg around, peeping eating and drinking fine. This one livens up as soon as I pick it up but zonks out almost as soon as I put it down. It will get up and walk around if prodded. Any help would be appreciated

Hmm, Maybe you should separate it fromthe other, it could have somethig wrong with it, that they could catch? Or maybe he/she is just lazy.... hmm

I guess I'll separate it and just try the tried and true TLC method. Not much choice at 10:30 at night.
hmm.png

Not really. The others are just so energetic. It will wake up, move, then lay down again. So it knows if its hot or cold. It will peck around at the bedding around it. I think all I can really do is watch and wait. Once I'm holding it, the eyes close and it goes out. When I put it down, it will walk around a little bit and then just sit.

Try giving the weak one a little sugar water to perk it up. Sometimes they get weak from the stress of shipping and take while to bounce back. The sugar water helps give them a boost and get them going. If he/she wont drink it on their own, use a small syringe (with no needle of course) and put a drop on the end of its beak. Then see if it will take more.

WELL....I tried giving sugar water and as long as I dipped her beak she would drink. However I soon notice she was staring to bloat from the water. After holding her for a while and massaging, the excess water came back out. Well I managed not to drown her and now 48 hours later, I'm hard pressed to tell her from any of the others!!! They are all great!! One is showing a little bit of pasting though. I used a warm moist rag to clean it off and she hasn't slowed down yet! All is great!!

Back
Top Bottom