Sleepy or sick?

CircusRing

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Pefferlaw Ontario
As of yesterday our dominant rooster appears sleepier than normal. He keeps nodding off. The only recent change is as of last week our next door neighbor got two roosters and there has been an increased level of crowing. He looks healthy otherwise. Could this be a sick boy? Or just exhausted from the recent increase in protecting his girls? He is a very sweet rooster. Should I give him electrolytes?

How does his crop feel? Is it full and hard, doughy, or puffy? Can you check to see if it empties overnight? Is he eating and drinking? What do his droppings look like? Is ther any diarrhea or blood in his stools? Is he constantly patolling the border of the yard? Electrolytes or some Poultry NutriDrench might be helpful if he isn’t drinking normally.

How does his crop feel? Is it full and hard, doughy, or puffy? Can you check to see if it empties overnight? Is he eating and drinking? What do his droppings look like? Is ther any diarrhea or blood in his stools? Is he constantly patolling the border of the yard? Electrolytes or some Poultry NutriDrench might be helpful if he isn’t drinking normally.
Crop seems ok and same with the poops. He isn’t eating as much as I would like to see because he is on high alert because of these new rooster neighbors. I’m going to try the electrolytes for sure. And I wouldn’t say he’s patrolling so much as on high alert. But I wonder if this new development next door has stressed him a little. I’ll keep an eye on him.

Is it possible that he is starting a molt? I’ve inspected his poop closely and it looks healthy. He is mostly perky but has sleepy spells. And today when he was grooming there was a lot of dander and I snapped this pic of his back. Is this a new feather coming in? We’ve added some electrolytes to the water and will be giving him some cooked egg today. So new to this.
B7C32A15-07BB-422A-B013-F1334D744FAD.jpeg

It looks like his oil or preen gland. I would check for any evidence of mites or lice. Look at night while he is on the roost. Is he due for his yearly molt? Is he getting feather picked?

He is only 6 months old so I wouldn’t expect a molt yet. We will check him tomorrow more thoroughly for mites. I don’t see any signs of that yet but I’ll have to do some research to find out what to look for. He isn’t being feather picked. It’s such a mystery.

Preen glands can become clogged or infected. I would keep an eye on it. You can use a warm wet compress on the preen gland to soften any secretions. Since it is exposed that can attract pecking.

Back
Top Bottom