Sleepy sick chicken, not sure I am treating correctly

Greek2me143

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
I have a lovely brahma hen that is almost 1 year. 3 days ago i found her standing sleeping puffed up in the corner. I immediately quarantined her and started giving her Denegard, at a rate of 8ml to 1 gallon of water. She was not drinking so i started using a syringe and carefully pouring it down her throat. I have been doing this for three days and no improvement. I just gave her some water with nutri drench and she could barely stay awake for it
I am considering using Tylan 200 and start injection, anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to BYC @Greek2me143 :frow

Did you feel her crop yet?

If so, was it hard or rather squishy and liquidy? Or inflated with gas?
How does her poop look?
When did she last lay an egg?
When did you last deworm her?
What exactly do you feed including treats etc.?
Can you hear her breathing?

Did you already inspect her for lice and poultry mites? And the coop including nesting boxes etc. as well?
I did, i regularly use diatomaceous earth on them and the nesting boxes. Is the sleepy a symptom of lice? I have 3 others that seem fine. I had one sick chicken a few weeks ago and it was respiratory so I made an assumption it was the same. I have not seen any snot but she does sound funny, so i thought respiratory, but I could be all wrong. Feeling so out of my element here😫

What does she sound like? Laboured breath or gurgling?
Did you open her beak to look inside if something might have stuck in her throat?
What about her crop? Does it empty overnight?

What does she sound like? Laboured breath or gurgling?
Did you open her beak to look inside if something might have stuck in her throat?
What about her crop? Does it empty overnight?
She does sound guggling-ish, yes checked her throat nothing there. She normally has no trouble with her crop but she has not eaten in several days

Welcome to BYC @Greek2me143 :frow

Did you feel her crop yet?

If so, was it hard or rather squishy and liquidy? Or inflated with gas?
How does her poop look?
When did she last lay an egg?
When did you last deworm her?
What exactly do you feed including treats etc.?
Can you hear her breathing?
Her crop is empty
She layed an egg 2 days ago, but hasn't eaten.
Poop looks normal, white with a little green some yellow.
I give her crumble, corn once in a while and dried worms as treats. I do let them forage in the backyard but we don't put any poisen down.
I can hear her breathing it is a little labored.
I have never wormed her i put Diatomaceous earth in their crumble.

Her crop is empty
She layed an egg 2 days ago, but hasn't eaten.
Poop looks normal, white with a little green some yellow.
I give her crumble, corn once in a while and dried worms as treats. I do let them forage in the backyard but we don't put any poisen down.
I can hear her breathing it is a little labored.
I have never wormed her i put Diatomaceous earth in their crumble.
Was the eggshell strong or rather thin?

DE will not prevent worms or help with deworming. If added to the feed on a regular basis/daily, DE might bind important nutrients and vitamins, thus depriving the chicken of essential nutrients.

Egg shell was normal as usual
Was the eggshell strong or rather thin?

DE will not prevent worms or help with deworming. If added to the feed on a regular basis/daily, DE might bind important nutrients and vitamins, thus depriving the chicken of essential nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom