Sleepy turkey!?

WuckyDucky

In the Brooder
May 3, 2019
I got 2 baby turkeys (1st time ever) just over a week ago and noticed one has “droopy” wings but after reading other threads found out that is normal!! Whew!! However, the one with the wonky wings has been “sleepy” keeps its eyes closed most of the time.. walks fine but let’s me touch, pet and pick it up when the rest of the flock (9 chicks, 2 ducks & 2 turkeys total), if I put it on its back it chirps and wants down. Bronze breasted, on pine shavings.
9F895145-6D01-4802-986C-5CA27993F1E4.jpeg
E0384D18-ACEB-4F46-9309-9B23923C048E.jpeg

What's your brooder temperature? Poults should be brooded separately as they need it bit warmer that first week or two.

Do you observe it eating and drinking? They need to be taught, so it's important you observe them doing it.

Poults need a higher protein ration. 28% for the first 4 weeks.

I honestly don’t know the temp in the coop but I have 3 heat lamps and on warmer days vary which ones are on. The other turkey is doing great and think they are over a week old- not really sure as the farm store didn’t tell me:/

Thank you for your insight and will look into temp and am feeding an all flock starter/finisher with added niacin for all. New to this so learning as I go! I have not seen it eat/ drink as it has been cold in MI & didn’t want the draft so try to keep the door closed as much as possible.. now that it is warmer will watch!

Sleepy turkey didn’t make it:( noticed it had puffy eyes and started breathing heavy, wobbling, weak and running into things.

Hubby humanely took care of it. Farm life is hard some days. (I am a super softy when it comes to critters- I want to heal and love them all)

Back
Top Bottom