Slightly discolored comb.... Should I worry?

Katchiren

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 9, 2014

My chicken has a slightly discolored comb, and were not sure if its frostbite or something serious.
I noticed it when we came home this morning. Please Help!

Last edited:
It looks like it is frostbite. I have roosters with large combs, so unfortunately I have experience with this. The most serious frostbite swells and turns black when the tissue dies and then falls off. Less serious frostbite, probably like your hen's will be white and the outer skin will peel some. I have read that frostbitten tissue is more apt to get further frostbite and it should also be handled gently so as not to damage the tissue. If you are going to have more really cold nights you may want to raise the temp in the coop and make sure the humidity is not too high. Or you could carefully apply some petroleum jelly to her comb which could help protect it.

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Yep, looks like frost bite. Scratch N Peck has set you on a good path with the vaseline. Rub some on, gently, at roosting time to protect the comb. Make sure not to close all your vents down in the winter. The moisture from breathing and pooping builds up and freezes, falls back down as frost on combs. So keep some air circulating all the time.

Good luck with your babies and enjoy BYC!

It looks like it is frostbite. I have roosters with large combs, so unfortunately I have experience with this. The most serious frostbite swells and turns black when the tissue dies and then falls off. Less serious frostbite, probably like your hen's will be white and the outer skin will peel some. I have read that frostbitten tissue is more apt to get further frostbite and it should also be handled gently so as not to damage the tissue. If you are going to have more really cold nights you may want to raise the temp in the coop and make sure the humidity is not too high. Or you could carefully apply some petroleum jelly to her comb which could help protect it.

times 2

Welcome to BYC from Southern California!
D.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck treating your girls comb, hope she gets better.

Back
Top Bottom