*slightly* moldy feed, all trash?

SummerTheAnimalGirl

✝️Christ is everything!
Apr 7, 2022
We have had weeks of pure mist and 100% humidity. I hadn’t seen the sun for a month! We had some bags of feed in the garage, and today I opened them. There was a little bit of mold on a few crumbles on the top, but the rest looked fine.

Could I scoop the top off, and still feed then the food on the bottom? Or can I not use any of it? It is a couple hundred dollars worth of feed so I would hate to waste it, but I of course don’t want to risk sickening the chickens and ducks.

Thank in advance!

Here is a picture of a moldy piece,
1FC344CE-BB4D-4F59-81F0-DFC017E51207.jpeg

And here is the rest of the food without mold. It looks and smells fine.
C17E4EC4-5BF9-4EF2-BAE6-8CAC7B561195.jpeg

I agree with @21hens-incharge, if you saw mold in one part of the bag, it may be everywhere and just not as obvious. I never feed anything that there is the slightest question about, it's just not worth losing birds. If it makes them sick, it will be too late. I have thrown out, or taken back, innumerable bags over the years. It's a really good idea to always empty a whole bag into another container before feeding. Sometimes there is spoilage on the bottom, and the top of the bag can look normal. I have also found that leaving a bag of feed on a concrete floor for any amount of time tends to lead to spoilage. If I have to store one for a short period of time before putting in my container, I put it up on something off the ground, an old pallet, boards on blocks, etc.

I agree with @21hens-incharge, if you saw mold in one part of the bag, it may be everywhere and just not as obvious. I never feed anything that there is the slightest question about, it's just not worth losing birds. If it makes them sick, it will be too late. I have thrown out, or taken back, innumerable bags over the years. It's a really good idea to always empty a whole bag into another container before feeding. Sometimes there is spoilage on the bottom, and the top of the bag can look normal. I have also found that leaving a bag of feed on a concrete floor for any amount of time tends to lead to spoilage. If I have to store one for a short period of time before putting in my container, I put it up on something off the ground, an old pallet, boards on blocks, etc.

Good reminder about hidden mold or spoilage.

I use gamma lids on Home Depot buckets. They seal with a gasket. I also happen to store mine inside my human house so it is climate controlled. Each bucket holds 25 lb worth of feed. They cost about $9 each for the lids and a $5 bucket I have been using the same buckets and lids for about 8 years now.

Hi! You should return it and get new bags. It was inside, shouldn't mold like that. I had major problems with feed in 2022 and ended switching to a local feed mill.

Back
Top Bottom