Slightly panicked: Starting to build our Coop...just got 13 Chicks!!!

Pics
You're doing better than we did! Started the coop at 4 weeks...big mistake! Still got them in by 7!
Sometimes getting the chicks before the coop is done is a good motivator! Seems to be for us. We built a bigger brooder 3 x 5 and put them in, in the garage, and are now working on the coop. At least they’re more comfortable in the larger brooder, if not HOT. 92-95* today. Trying to think of ways to cool them down Now. I’m impressed you got your Coop done in 3 weeks. Self-built , a kit, or modified store bought?

Sometimes getting the chicks before the coop is done is a good motivator! Seems to be for us. We built a bigger brooder 3 x 5 and put them in, in the garage, and are now working on the coop. At least they’re more comfortable in the larger brooder, if not HOT. 92-95* today. Trying to think of ways to cool them down Now. I’m impressed you got your Coop done in 3 weeks. Self-built , a kit, or modified store bought?

We built with the Wichita Cabin coop pattern on here. Turned out pretty well! Had some help, but mostly just hustled and spent all evenings/weekends. It's not too hot here, closer to 80, but have been doing watermelon/fresh water/free range time for more shady spots/dust bathing.

Whatever they pick for themselves outside (grass, leaves, seeds, bugs, etc)

Wet chick starter. Yup, just add water and it magically becomes a special treat! (Chickens are strange that way. Try it with a small dish and see.)
Thanks for the tip! I did try the wet chicken feed in a small bowl, kind of like oatmeal, and they did gobble it up. So I gave them 2 more very small bowls. Mainly trying to cool them down. Yes, we've been spending an hour or two in the outside temp playpen/chicken run each day. Grass, bugs, and more....They L.O.V.E. it. :loveI'm about to take them outside again before it rains. Going to try the watermelon and yogurt ideas others have suggested too. Thanks!

We built with the Wichita Cabin coop pattern on here. Turned out pretty well! Had some help, but mostly just hustled and spent all evenings/weekends. It's not too hot here, closer to 80, but have been doing watermelon/fresh water/free range time for more shady spots/dust bathing.
Nice! Is there a pic of your coop on BYC? That's ok if not, just curious. Getting so many good ideas here!!

Nice! Is there a pic of your coop on BYC? That's ok if not, just curious. Getting so many good ideas here!!

I think I may have posted build progress! Here's the final result:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 9.00.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 9.00.59 AM.png
    471.8 KB · Views: 22
Yes, we know this is bass-ackwards; we got the cart before the horse or the chicks before the coop. Whatever. But Friday afternoon we brought home from Tractor Supply, 13 two-weekish old chicks and set them up all happy in the brooder (4 x 2.5 ft metal trough). Oh are they hilarious to watch. Such personalities!

We had watched a gazillion videos on coop building and read as many articles, so we have been developing and planning for about 7-9 months. Dear Hubby is an engineer, so he does a lot more planning and thinking and planning and thinking before picking up a hammer and saw. We purchased lots of lumber and OSBs. And more saws and tools. We have the initial coop frame in placed, leveled and ready for the build. Now we are MOTIVATED.

Coop will be 8 x 8, with a 8 x 20 foot run. We live in the country on a 20 acre farm (no livestock), so space and zoning is not an issue.

We figure we have about 6 weeks before we NEED to get them into the coop, even if still in the brooder within the coop. Maybe that's not an accurate guesstimate. ??One concern I have -- will 13 chicks outgrow the brooder before 6 weeks is up? I'm thinking yes. They're already very active, flap around, and cuddle a lot, but I know they grow fast. I could see them growing so fast they'll need to be separated or something before the coop's ready. We might have to make a 2nd makeshift brooder. I don't know what do you think? All pullets allegedly.
We have:
  • 1 Rhode Island Red
  • 1 Production Red (similar to RI Red? Not sure)
  • 2 Amauracanas
  • 3 CA white leghorns
  • 3 Isa Browns
  • 3 Golden Sexlinks (cross of Golden Campine? Not sure)

So that's our little flock. They are adorable, of course. Funny as heck. Hopefully I can attach some pix. Thoughts? Advice? Back in May I introduced myself as a newby in KY, new farm owners & retirees, with hopes and dreams of getting chickens. And here we are. ;):eek::wee
You will need a bigger container with a wire cover at around a month and a 100 watt bulb hanging over it with a cheap metal shade on a porcelain socket since they get hot. Mine went outside at six weeks - too messy for the box I had and too much dust in the garage.

Yes, we know this is bass-ackwards; we got the cart before the horse or the chicks before the coop. Whatever. But Friday afternoon we brought home from Tractor Supply, 13 two-weekish old chicks and set them up all happy in the brooder (4 x 2.5 ft metal trough). Oh are they hilarious to watch. Such personalities!

We had watched a gazillion videos on coop building and read as many articles, so we have been developing and planning for about 7-9 months. Dear Hubby is an engineer, so he does a lot more planning and thinking and planning and thinking before picking up a hammer and saw. We purchased lots of lumber and OSBs. And more saws and tools. We have the initial coop frame in placed, leveled and ready for the build. Now we are MOTIVATED.

Coop will be 8 x 8, with a 8 x 20 foot run. We live in the country on a 20 acre farm (no livestock), so space and zoning is not an issue.

We figure we have about 6 weeks before we NEED to get them into the coop, even if still in the brooder within the coop. Maybe that's not an accurate guesstimate. ??One concern I have -- will 13 chicks outgrow the brooder before 6 weeks is up? I'm thinking yes. They're already very active, flap around, and cuddle a lot, but I know they grow fast. I could see them growing so fast they'll need to be separated or something before the coop's ready. We might have to make a 2nd makeshift brooder. I don't know what do you think? All pullets allegedly.
We have:
  • 1 Rhode Island Red
  • 1 Production Red (similar to RI Red? Not sure)
  • 2 Amauracanas
  • 3 CA white leghorns
  • 3 Isa Browns
  • 3 Golden Sexlinks (cross of Golden Campine? Not sure)

are. ;):eek::wee

To give you an idea of size and how quickly they grow - I have 6 sex linked (black and red) I got them 6-19. The first picture is from June 30th. And the picture of them on the fire ring is from today 7-17.

I have them in a dog kennel, but when I get more chickens 🐔 next year I am considering to get a old baby play pen and put extra chicken “cloth” on top to prevent them from flying out.

Attachments

• DEFBB96A-AFEE-4751-95E7-91C1BEB1F6BC.jpeg
    DEFBB96A-AFEE-4751-95E7-91C1BEB1F6BC.jpeg
    435.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DCBBF303-C82E-4E47-962A-DBD38F2D9A67.jpeg
    DCBBF303-C82E-4E47-962A-DBD38F2D9A67.jpeg
    587.2 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom