Slimy waterers

Quote:
Not to mention that all that 'gross' stuff is nutrient rich and full of beneficial bacteria, boosting their immune system. If you want to check, put a fresh sanitized tray of water out with bleach in it and a tray of water thats been setting in the sun for a couple of days, see which one the chickens go for first. I can put out a fresh clean stock tank of 50* water for the cows, they will walk over to the stream and drink, full of algae, poop, decaying plants,etc.

They just might be trying to tell us something.

Ditto on the suite me suite you thing though.

Quote:
I can't tell if you're asking me, the OP, but if so, I have a 1-gal plastic waterer. It sits in the tractor, in partial sun.

I usually wash the double wall metal waterer daily with my hands under the outside faucet. Yeah, it used to get stinky but they don't get it as smelly now that they are older. The slimy stuff is there every day and running my fingers around seems to clean it off. A good rinse and all is good.

Do not use ACV in a metal waterer. We do use it in the nipple waterer in the run and it does limit the amount of slime in the five gallon bucket.

Quote:
We use a 5 gallon bucket w/ poultry nipples. we just swish the water around, and use our hands. I want the algae and bacteria in there. Its good stuff. But to be fair, there is no poop in our buckets, they have caps over them. But the black feed dishes in the yard collect the occasional rain, and the birds generally drink the runoff from the sprinklers in the road.

Quote:
I can't tell if you're asking me, the OP, but if so, I have a 1-gal plastic waterer. It sits in the tractor, in partial sun.

Sorry, guess I should have been more clear.

I was really wondering about the o.p., however, I'm always curious about what others are using.

I use a rainwater collection system that is exposed to air/sun. What's wrong with a little algae and slime? (see my BYC page for pics of my setup)

Quote:
Just a cautionary heads up.
Your ratio is close to a 10% cleaning solution, not a clean drinking water ratio. The ratio for purifying drinking water is 1/8 of a teaspoon per gallon. You have added enough cholrine to purify 30 gallons of water.
Please be careful and measure carefully.
http://www.doh.wa.gov/phepr/handbook/purify.htm

Bleach is 6%: diluted with 1 gallon of water is even much less.

The ratio I was given came from the State Vet. I've been using it for about 5 years now: wished I'd have known it 40 years ago! Works really great at keeping the birds healthy and from passing disease one to another which mainly takes place among chickens in the waterer.

I appreciate the thought though.

Just to be clear. I am aware of household bleach being 6% strength. The ratio I cited are for that strength of clorine (bleach). You should pour yourself a glass of your chicken water for taste.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom