Slipped tendon that turned to twisted tibia/my treatment

Yes, x2, @zazouse I think it is a brilliant idea. Yes, @DylansMom it would need to extend farther for a bird's leg. But I think my bird's leg is rotated above the joint... that was part of what confused me so much when I first figured out he was having a problem. And no one -- including the vet -- could figure out how to fix it. Although to give him credit, he doesn't do birds. Maybe if I had driven 200 miles to an avian vet, I would have a different story. I did a lot of looking online, and found a possible surgical answer, and he was sorta willing to try, but we were both afraid I would lose the bird if the surgery failed. I'll try to get some photos of him and post.

FWIW, he learned how to prop himself up with the twisted leg and hop forward with the good leg, then he swings the bad leg around forward. Picture a peg leg pirate. He displays his train with the bad leg propping him up... he just pretty much lists to the bad side. If you look at him carefully, he seems to have developed muscles to compensate for his twisted leg. He can also fly short distances when he is in a hurry, but I think he avoids flying due to the landing issues. I wish it weren't twisted! But he manages surprisingly well. The only outcomes I read about for birds when I looked into it before seemed to all involve having the bird put down, or a leg amputated, so I am so glad that he manages as well as he does. He doesn't seem to be in any pain from it, he's just mobility-challenged. He eats, preens, dust-bathes, and displays right along with everybody else. At night, he hangs out in the deep shavings in the bird house where everyone else is roosting, and he seems perfectly happy. He's a little more assertive about protecting his personal space -- it is harder for him to get across the pen for treats when we are throwing them, so he's pretty protective when he gets one
gig.gif
And I make sure to throw his treats where he can reach them without having to run after them, and we throw treats for the other birds farther away so they don't try to steal his.

You quoted me before I amended that post. It is kind of hard to explain, the bone is correct as it comes out of the hip joint, then the bone itself becomes deformed by twisting, so that it isn't straight by the time you reach the hock joint, and that causes everything below the twist to rotate outward. Make any sense? The bird bearing it's weight on the leg puts pressure on that twisting bone and it twists further, the taping supposedly exerts pressure it the opposite direction and this negates the twisting, the key is to do it long enough for the bones to harden up enough that they can bear weight without being deformed by it. My thought was that perhaps a brace would keep the weight off the leg, but allow mobility during the day, however I don't think a brace will be able to exert that opposite force needed for correction.

You quoted me before I amended that post. It is kind of hard to explain, the bone is correct as it comes out of the hip joint, then the bone itself becomes deformed by twisting, so that it isn't straight by the time you reach the hock joint, and that causes everything below the twist to rotate outward. Make any sense? The bird bearing it's weight on the leg puts pressure on that twisting bone and it twists further, the taping supposedly exerts pressure it the opposite direction and this negates the twisting, the key is to do it long enough for the bones to harden up enough that they can bear weight without being deformed by it. My thought was that perhaps a brace would keep the weight off the leg, but allow mobility during the day, however I don't think a brace will be able to exert that opposite force needed for correction.

Ooops, sorry! Yes, what you have written makes sense. It is very hard to visualize, even looking at the bird, much less describe in words.

I am thinking that if such a brace could be made, it might need a joint in the leg part, and the leg would need to be secured in a couple different places.

The surgical solution (apparently they do it on parrots and high monetary value birds) apparently involves making a curved cut in the bone and rotating the bone pieces to a new position, then pinning them together while they heal. I can't even imagine how much it must cost, and I think my guy is too old for it now.

I also meant to mention that there is this wonderful, spongy underwrap, that I don't know where you buy. It's used in athletic departments underneath taping... great stuff. But I can't find it at the drugstore or anyplace else. I suppose maybe it could be found online, but too late for me to use it on my bird. Three years too late
hit.gif

I looked out and Peanut was showing off, and it turned out he didn't mind posing for pictures.

See how he stands with his right leg braced behind him? Pretty good for a lame guy, doncha think?

Here's a close up, the left leg is straight, the right is twisted. He actually rotates it behind him to help propel himself forward or stabilize himself, like when he fans.

Here you have a better view of how he holds that right leg. Isn't he a pretty boy?

Here's a close up from the other side. The right leg (closest to camera) is the twisted one. The left leg (farther from camera) is the straight one. The angle at which he holds the right leg changes as he hobbles around.

He decided he liked having his picture taken today... it's nice outside, and he thought this whole thing was fine
love.gif

I looked out and Peanut was showing off, and it turned out he didn't mind posing for pictures.

See how he stands with his right leg braced behind him? Pretty good for a lame guy, doncha think?

Here's a close up, the left leg is straight, the right is twisted. He actually rotates it behind him to help propel himself forward or stabilize himself, like when he fans.

Here you have a better view of how he holds that right leg. Isn't he a pretty boy?

Here's a close up from the other side. The right leg (closest to camera) is the twisted one. The left leg (farther from camera) is the straight one. The angle at which he holds the right leg changes as he hobbles around.

He decided he liked having his picture taken today... it's nice outside, and he thought this whole thing was fine
love.gif

Here's a close-up of his leg while he's displaying:

Excellent pictures! Those will be great visual aids for people to identify TT.

Thanks, Dylan's Mom... and maybe also somebody will give their bird a chance instead of putting it down right away. I don't know how many birds learn to keep walking, albeit lame, and how many cannot walk... if he had been immobile, then of course there would not have been a choice. But he is having a fairly normal pea-life, so I'm so glad I didn't put him down.

Of course, what I wish most is that I had known how to attempt straightening it
hit.gif
Not sure it would have worked, as severe as it is, and as late as it developed. But I would have liked to have tried.

OK! We let Answer out today. His treatment was interrupted by me going in for emergency appendectomy, or I would have treated him longer.

Oh and my bird, the Lower bone, from hock to ankle is what was twisting, not the upper bone. So its just a wee bit different than garden peas. He has been shut in the coop with LOTS of pine shavings, so limited mobility with a soft floor, which probably has helped.

I let them all out today and was very pleased with his progress. He still limps but I think he will be OK with no further taping. I will monitor his progress. I especially want to thank dylansmom for all her help and everyone else for the help and encouragement.

I tried to take a video today, pardon the quality, just on the iPad and I didn't know what I was doing.

Well I don't know how to post a video! Keeps saying not allowed

Back
Top Bottom