I agree with Wyorp Rock that it will become a weight problem for the good leg and will give out in time. I had it happen to a Black Star although her toes were normal. She had a pulled tendon or ligament and I had her in the hospital cage for almost two months without improvement. So I released her into a small pen and she hobbled around all day on one leg foraging. Two months later she couldnt walk at all. I decided to cull her at that time. It was difficult putting her down because I had spent alot of time with her.
It's definitely a quality of life issue that only you can decide.
Thank you, I will definitely have to think on it. I don’t want her to be in pain. Really appreciate all the input

I doubt that a vet could help much, but it is up to you if you want to try. Someone here online was a surgeon, and they attempted orthopedic surgery on their own chick to try and fix the problem, but the chick did not survive. The toes cannot be fixed, but they may toughen up to tolerate walking around. I tend to have the attitude to let them be and see if they can survive, but if they are suffering or cannot get to food, then it might be best to put them down.

I doubt that a vet could help much, but it is up to you if you want to try. Someone here online was a surgeon, and they attempted orthopedic surgery on their own chick to try and fix the problem, but the chick did not survive. The toes cannot be fixed, but they may toughen up to tolerate walking around. I tend to have the attitude to let them be and see if they can survive, but if they are suffering or cannot get to food, then it might be best to put them down.
Thanks I may just try the vet to see if they can give me any more peace of mind about it. She eats and drinks fine, she just limits her mobility to when she really wants to move. It is hard for me to tell if/how much pain she is in.

Back
Top Bottom