Slippery walk to the Coop

On forestry walks here the wooden foot bridges get very slippery and they either nail big metal staples all over them sticking up a bit or they nail quite thick wire across the surface. It seems to allow your feet to grip and not slip - might work.

A non-slip paint, lay down sand by throwing it up in the air and letting it fall on the wet paint, roll the sand into the paint and allow it to dry, then repeat after the second coat you should have a decently grippy step. Just be sure to prep the surface per the instruction on the paint.

Make sure you use anti-slip mats. We use lots at work and some of the anti-fatigue mats slide on wet floors; kinda like working on a surfboard. Any would probably work if they will drain and are secured.

Imp

Notice the pictures on the matsmatsmats site are all interior shots - no outside versions. I have a similar mat on my front porch which is covered, however when the wind blows rain or snow, it gets very slippery. Some options: tear out the wood stairs and replace with stone (snow will melt faster on stone); put in hand rails, both sides; but whatever you do, keep bags of sand and shovels nearby to spread after a snowstorm. I wouldn't do the carpet thing because that will freeze and get terribly yucky; and the paint will probably simply peel off esp. if the wood was ever pre-treated with creosote or stain.

Back
Top Bottom