Slipping day olds under broody, can I stagger them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by appps, Oct 9, 2015.

1. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I have two eggs and we are about half way through day 21. One hatched around 11pm last night, the other hasn't pipped yet but I've seen the egg wiggle.

How long can I keep the first one in the incubator waiting for the second? My last hatch the only egg that hatched was day 25.

If I have to move it under the broody, can I add the second one later if it hatches in a few days time?

She is a really placid broody btw.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

3. Hawk12

Hawk12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2015
    Hayden, ID
    From what I've read chicks can survive on thear yolk for 72 hours after hatch. He'll be fine in the incubator for a couple days. Your hen should take in the other chick if you decide to move them seperately. Mine always have. I would probably wait at least a day before you open the incubator though so you don't mess up the humidity. Good luck :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've left chicks in the incubator a good 48 hours before moving to the brooder and they've done fine. I figure the hatcheries stick them in a box and ship them across the country before they eat or drink and the vast majority of them do just fine, so chilling in my incubator is no big thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by