slop

picklespickles

Songster
12 Years
Oct 27, 2007
okay. i know some people don't slop their chickens and that's cool. but if you do, what are some of the freaky icky wild things they love to eat up for you?

my neighbors just gave me jalepenos and other assorted pepers that had frozen on the vine and were spoiled. also, same thing for cantalope. just tossed all that out there. i know they will love the seeds at least. the peppers were really beautiful and red. they looked really cool as they were tossed out over the yard.

they also like old watermelon. someone had thrwon one like a bomb once by the side fo the road. i ac tualy stopped, put it in the trunk, and fed it to the chikens. they went wild.

i find with fruit that even if they don't like it first thing, once it dries up a little, i ususlaly find them over there pecking on it.

the only thing they wont touch, despite my telling them how good it is for them
wink.png
, is dry cat food. that does draw teh cat from next door, though, who is not immune to the call of the chcikens, so probably better they dont like it.

i usually have can or bowl of stuff in the fridge from scraping out leftovers, everything from the rest of a can of beans to old chips to old soy milk to oatmeal to brown rice to old hamburgers on the ninety nine cent speical at the drive thru.

so what is they mystery ingredient in your slop?

okay. here is an example. i just empited out weird stuff into a container to give them tomorrow. weird old tomatos. old pasta. oatmeal. old packet of sugar. old chicken soup mix. old skin of something or other. leftover mushrooms. mmm. isn't that what you would like for breakfast?

Well, I don't really "slop" my chickens, I BUY the treats they like and sometimes I eat them too!
gig.gif
And, no, I'll pass on breakfast! LOL

a lot of people on this board don't. maybe it has to do with how people got into it. i was raised with a family who had grown up using chickens as livestock, not pets. so, there was a cyclical balance, we feed you, you feed us, etc.

to get people food was actually thought of as getting treats belive it or not. my neighbors think i'm crazy for feeding my chickens at all.

i do have feed from the store, but i definitely see them as part of a natural process of turning my garbage into food.

I eat my chickens snacks too
gig.gif
I can't help myself! The healthfood store bill has never been so high...

I feed them warm oatmeal for their mid-morn snack...with raisins. They really love it.

They like tomato seeds, and my jalopenas. I pick them off the plant and open them and they eat all the seeds and cluck away.

during the summer, i probably caught upwards of ten grasshoppers for my duck a day.
wink.png

mine get oatmeal, too, but i uh, taste test it for them first. lol.

they lay eggs, they are happy and they are tasty when i eat them. they have a quarter acre to run around on and eat anything they like. why do you assume they don't have a good diet?

Back
Top Bottom