Slow Chick Growth

silkie1472

Songster
Dec 28, 2016
A little over a month ago I received a chick order from Murray McMurray Hatchery. Two of the chicks were salmon faverolles. Now about 6 weeks old, they are smaller than the rest, having some fluff still, and have a very small tail. I was wondering if this is normal. It took them forever the get some feathers.

I just received an order from Ideal Poultry of Salmon Faverolles, and even though the chicks are only a week old, they have full wing feathers and are starting to grow tail feathers. What could be the cause of this, if anything?

Photos would help, but my faverolles all seemed to mature at the same rate as my other breeds. I have both hatchery birds, and some who were hatched from eggs from well known national breeders. I did find that none were ever good layers or the most healthy of breeds. They are one of the sweetest breeds and very docile.

Shipping stress could be a problem, or possibly a bad hatch. Genetics, since this is a rarer breed might be a factor. And I also would look at possible coccidiosis, that can stunt growth.

The SFs I got from McMurray are now the same size as the rest of the flock — and about to start laying. They did take a lot longer to mature than the ones I got from Ideal Poultry. Also, the Ideal SFs are a lot more colorful and developed faster.

A little over a month ago I received a chick order from Murray McMurray Hatchery. Two of the chicks were salmon faverolles. Now about 6 weeks old, they are smaller than the rest, having some fluff still, and have a very small tail. I was wondering if this is normal. It took them forever the get some feathers.

I just received an order from Ideal Poultry of Salmon Faverolles, and even though the chicks are only a week old, they have full wing feathers and are starting to grow tail feathers. What could be the cause of this, if anything?
Can you post some photos?
Hopefully someone like @Eggcessive that has raised Salmon Faverolles will chime in.

My salmon faverolles came in very week and sickly-like from McMurray. These from ideal seem very healthy though. Here’s a picture of my MMH Salmon Faverolle about 3-4 weeks old.
717E4078-881B-4F6B-A7C7-FEBD273820E9.jpeg

Currently, I don’t have new pictures. The ideal chicks have pin feathers coming in on their tails, but the 6 week old faverolles barely have a tail. They’re getting a little bigger in size, but I don’t know what would have stunted their growth so early on.

I want to say genetics as well. The MM SFs appear to have bigger muffs and beards, so maybe it just takes longer to develop.

Back
Top Bottom