Slow Cooker Basil Chicken and ?

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
Well... that is the plan. I had some Pesto in the freezer still so I plopped 3 tbsp worth of pesto in the slow cooker with 3 large chicken breasts. I also found I had 1 head of garlic left, so I peeled all of it and threw it in too.

Now the house smells WONDERFUL!

I'm having company over tonight and I need to decide how to make these 3 chicken breasts feed 5 adults and 1 child.

So I'm tossing around ideas in my head, and wanted to get some input?

I'm thinking of maybe cutting it up and making some red potato salad with basil & oil vinegarette to make it into a meal? Or maybe use the chicken to stuff something, like a veggie with it?

What do you think? Share some ideas or recipes and I can mess with it!
wink.png

What about cubing the chicken and serving with pasta tossed with steamed broccoli, butter and cream or parmesan?
A big garden salad and crusty bread too!

That pesto makes it interesting. Can I come over for the potato salad?

Normally I would mention chicken tacos as a good way to stretch it, but with the pesto, I'd tend more toward pasta or casserole.

I'll mention Carolina Casserole for your consideration. It is so quick and easy to make. One tip. If you do microwave this, do not cover it, otherwise it will boil over. Guaranteed.

http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/32697/carolina-casserole/

I was going to say something with pasta as well. I'd go for cutting it up into cubes, and serving over angel hair pasta with artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil.

that def sounds nummy ... I think I'll make it too maybe over some lemon-rice with some steamed veggies on the side

I'm going to stay away from the pasta since we had pasta last night. But I love the suggestions so far. I have to look to see what additional ingredients I have hanging around to see what would work?
wink.png

Big tossed green salad, cut up the chicken and serve it over fettucini and make some garlic bread. IF you can make your own fettucine then you're really rocking. Grate a bunch of parmesan and chop a lot of fresh parsley to dress up the pasta once you have added the cubed chicken/pesto mixture...

And rock on with your bad self

Ok this is what I'm going to end up doing, just got back from the store.

I am taking the chicken out to cool now to cube later.

I bought the red potatoes and they are boiling now too. I am going to toss the cubed chicken and potatoes with red onions, shredded carrots and fresh parsley. I'm taking out the pesto juices from the slow cooker and putting it into the processor, going to add 2 tbsp of white balsamic vinegar, 1/4 tsp of dijon mustard & 2 tbsp olive oil. After I mix that, I'm going to add 1/2 cup of plain yogurt to make the dressing for the salad.

I'm also cooking a few steaks for the guys and offering them the extra dressing to add to their meat as well.

So far it all looks good!

I just have to stay away from the pasta, its usually the first thing I ver to... until I realize after a few nights of pasta I've put on the 1 or 2 lbs I battled so hard to lose the week before! HAHAHA

Thanks for all the AWESOME suggests. I'm a huge fan of pesto, and I have lots from my basil growing so I have time to try more of these in the next month.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom