Slow Feather Growth

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aylala88, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Aylala88

Aylala88 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    Rural Nebraska
    So I bought all my chicks together from a hatchery. They hatch and ship the same day. I noticed that my one Red Shouldered Yokohama got his feathers at a much sloweer rate than the rest. He is also the smallest chick. (compared to California whites, cochins) Is there a reason why? Is that typical of this breed. I really hope it turns out to be a boy. The roosters are so gorgeous with their long tails!

Any input appreciated!

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure if that is a breed characteristic, I've never had that breed. I would make sure he doesn't have any beak deformities that could affect his ability eat. If that checks out then make sure your feeder is large enough for all the chicks to get to and eat from. The only thing that comes to mind for stuted growth is a nutrient deficiency. Is the chick healthy otherwise?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  3. Aylala88

Sep 7, 2012
    Rural Nebraska

He is totally healthly. Beak is fine. He was born the end of may. He isn't skinny just smaller and I noticed the slower feathers. He is active love to roost.

4. chickluvinfreak

I had a chick who was similar but her beak was suverely deformed. She unfortunately had to be put down. So I'm glad that isn't the problem with your chick. I would keep a real close eye on him to make sure he stays healthy and droppings are normal. Worms could be a problem but all your other chickens would be affected if that was the case. If their is any change in his health youll have to take him to the vet. Really not sure what is wrong, how suvere is the size difference?

5. Aylala88

Sep 7, 2012
    Rural Nebraska
    Hes half the size of the others.

6. chickluvinfreak

According to the "my pet chicken" website, yokohama chickens are listed as small (4-5 lb.). And Cochins are listed as heavy (8+ lb.). So I think that breed is just really small compared to the others. I couldn't find a size range for the California whites.

7. Aylala88

Sep 7, 2012
    Rural Nebraska

Do smaller chicks get there feathers later than others?

8. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    I have some babies about the same age from a mixed flock, they are maybe a day or two difference when they hatched. Some have full wing and breast feathers, other just wing and some other body feathers but one of them has only small wing feathers. He is bigger than the others but has not develop all his feathers.

9. chickluvinfreak

Im not sure if size would affect their feather growth. But my bantam rock who is a few weeks old had some slow feather growth at first too. So maybe the smaller chickens are a bit slower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by