Slow feathering?

SgtPipsmom

Hatching
Apr 13, 2023
I bought four RiR pullets a while ago and they're growing well, but I noticed one of them seems to be far behind on getting their feathering, and what has grown in on the wing is curved and looks more ragged/scruffy. Is this a random slow feathering chick? Or is something wrong with her? Not my first batch of chicks, but the first baby like this.

Attachments

• 20230505_155813.jpg
    20230505_155813.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230505_155826.jpg
    20230505_155826.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
This chick is adorable. I don’t have anything helpful but maybe bumping so someone who has a better idea can see! The feathers that have come in do look a bit odd to me. Hopefully all is well!

Looks like a frizzles feathers -

Anything else noticeable about her? Eating, pooping, and/or behavior? Ive been seeing a lot more failure to thrive around recently, but from the picture - she seems really healthy and vibrant aside from the strange feathering.

Looks like a frizzles feathers -

Anything else noticeable about her? Eating, pooping, and/or behavior? Ive been seeing a lot more failure to thrive around recently, but from the picture - she seems really healthy and vibrant aside from the strange feathering.
She acts completely normal and eats/drinks/poops like her siblings. She's the same size or bigger than the rest as well, so no growth issues aside from her strange feathers (or lack thereof). I did think of frizzle feathering, but I wasn't sure if that was a thing that happened in RiRs. I kinda hope that's what it is because I think frizzles are so adorable, but I guess I'll just keep a close eye on her for until she's got more feathering!
I appreciate all the replies!

She acts completely normal and eats/drinks/poops like her siblings. She's the same size or bigger than the rest as well, so no growth issues aside from her strange feathers (or lack thereof). I did think of frizzle feathering, but I wasn't sure if that was a thing that happened in RiRs. I kinda hope that's what it is because I think frizzles are so adorable, but I guess I'll just keep a close eye on her for until she's got more feathering!
I appreciate all the replies!
I'm certainly lost with it, but am really curious to see what someone who has seen it or has experience with it has to say.

I don't believe RIR are a breed where the males can sometimes feather in more slowly, but I'm not positive. What are you feeding? Protein content of the ration? Are you using a heat plate? How big is your brooder?

Chick looks perky otherwise. Might just be a stage for it.

I don't believe RIR are a breed where the males can sometimes feather in more slowly, but I'm not positive. What are you feeding? Protein content of the ration? Are you using a heat plate? How big is your brooder?

Chick looks perky otherwise. Might just be a stage for it.
We feed 20% protein chick starter/grower. There is a heat plate that has been serving us just fine for two years. The brooder is a custom built job that's 5 1/2 feet long and 2 feet wide. I'm very meticulous about cleaning it and on warm days we spend time outside with supervision too. Everyone else is doing great, and she keeps up with the group fine. She just has weird feathers. My kiddo and I call her Chicken Wing.

We feed 20% protein chick starter/grower. There is a heat plate that has been serving us just fine for two years. The brooder is a custom built job that's 5 1/2 feet long and 2 feet wide. I'm very meticulous about cleaning it and on warm days we spend time outside with supervision too. Everyone else is doing great, and she keeps up with the group fine. She just has weird feathers. My kiddo and I call her Chicken Wing.
Sounds like everything is right so hopefully the feathers straighten out as the y come in. Those first feathers are always molted out as they grow so they aren't permanent.

Back
Top Bottom