Slow Grower / Runt?

fatedfaithfulfatal

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
Hello. New duck mom of four Khaki Campbell duckling. I got them last Friday at tractor supply and they are still very young, still all fluff, though possibly tail feathers coming in? see picture.

IMG_0910.jpeg

One of my babies is significantly behind the others and I did read some threads here that were a bit concerning, however most of the ones with unfortunate outcomes seemed the runt was showing other signs of something wrong. My little one is just as active as the others, has unlimited access to food and water, and is not bullied at all at the food dish.

They have unlimited access to dry purina duck pellets, as well as a dish of wet pellet mush with nutritional yeast given daily (I’ve started a few jars fermenting, but the first won’t be ready for two more day). They also get a handful of chopped kale in their water each night, and some peas when they get their bathtub time. Water is cleaned multiple times a day and never gets too dirty. They also have a pan of chick grit available. They are in a just over 4ft across hexagon playpen with a heat lamp in one spot and plenty of room away from it, with kiln dried pine shavings for bedding.

As far as I can tell, I’m giving them everything they need right now, and as I said, I don’t see anything concerning with behavior or appearance apart from the growth. The biggest one is twice as big as the smallest one now, and then the other two are in the middle size wise.

Is there cause for concern here? Anything I should be looking out for? Should I be supplementing this one somehow? Do I need to prepare myself that they may just suddenly decline and perish for no apparent reason?

Pics when I first got them, a few days later, and today. They’re just in the tiny tote for me to bring them out for their first dose of sunshine today and give their indoor pen a good cleaning.

IMG_0828.jpeg
IMG_0844.jpeg
IMG_0848.jpeg
IMG_0898.jpeg
IMG_0900.jpeg

Hello. New duck mom of four Khaki Campbell duckling. I got them last Friday at tractor supply and they are still very young, still all fluff, though possibly tail feathers coming in? see picture.

View attachment 3495142

One of my babies is significantly behind the others and I did read some threads here that were a bit concerning, however most of the ones with unfortunate outcomes seemed the runt was showing other signs of something wrong. My little one is just as active as the others, has unlimited access to food and water, and is not bullied at all at the food dish.

They have unlimited access to dry purina duck pellets, as well as a dish of wet pellet mush with nutritional yeast given daily (I’ve started a few jars fermenting, but the first won’t be ready for two more day). They also get a handful of chopped kale in their water each night, and some peas when they get their bathtub time. Water is cleaned multiple times a day and never gets too dirty. They also have a pan of chick grit available. They are in a just over 4ft across hexagon playpen with a heat lamp in one spot and plenty of room away from it, with kiln dried pine shavings for bedding.

As far as I can tell, I’m giving them everything they need right now, and as I said, I don’t see anything concerning with behavior or appearance apart from the growth. The biggest one is twice as big as the smallest one now, and then the other two are in the middle size wise.

Is there cause for concern here? Anything I should be looking out for? Should I be supplementing this one somehow? Do I need to prepare myself that they may just suddenly decline and perish for no apparent reason?

Pics when I first got them, a few days later, and today. They’re just in the tiny tote for me to bring them out for their first dose of sunshine today and give their indoor pen a good cleaning.

View attachment 3495137View attachment 3495138View attachment 3495139View attachment 3495140View attachment 3495141
Was it smaller than the rest when you bought them, or has it just not been keeping up with the others?
Commenting to boost your thread!

There was a small difference, but they were all small so it wasn’t as obvious. Now the biggest one is twice the size as the smallest. I spent quite a while sitting and watching them all after I posted, and still not seeing anything concerning. Little one is behaving exactly like the others.

Are they able to eat the pellets okay. Usually when that young crumbles is the best for them.
None of them have had any issues with the pellets. These are specifically stated to be appropriate for even hatchlings. Not to mention, they also get the wet pellet mash. They never appear to be starving when I give them anything, as there’s always leftovers. And theres only one not growing as quickly.

Back
Top Bottom