Slow growers

I free range my brahmas year round and provide standard 16% protein layer feed as a supplement. We butcher most between 4-5mos and body weights are usually 3-4lbs for females and 4-6l bs for the males. 1 yr olds about 4-5lb (F) and 7lb+ (M). We rarely keep birds much older than that any more but we have raised to full maturity and roosters can top 10lbs or more. Those are all freezer weights (plucked and dressed).

Good forage saves alot of feed

I free range my brahmas year round and provide standard 16% protein layer feed as a supplement. We butcher most between 4-5mos and body weights are usually 3-4lbs for females and 4-6l bs for the males. 1 yr olds about 4-5lb (F) and 7lb+ (M). We rarely keep birds much older than that any more but we have raised to full maturity and roosters can top 10lbs or more. Those are all freezer weights (plucked and dressed).

Good forage saves alot of feed
We free range all birds we raise.

Could I ask about when you butcher at 1yr? Isn't the meat usually very tough at that age?

Could I ask about when you butcher at 1yr? Isn't the meat usually very tough at that age?
Coq au Vin is how the French make a gourmet meal out of a rooster that is several years old. I think old hens are better in chicken and dumplings.

There are several good ways to cook an older bird. One of the safest is to make broth with them and separate out the meat for tacos, soup, or salad.

Back
Top Bottom