Slow hen not eating or drinking- nothing in crop

Cereal

Songster
6 Years
Jul 27, 2014
I noticed this hen that was not eating, or rather "pretending" to eat. It would peck at the ground or at food but actually not pick it up and sometimes not even get close. I picked her up and she did not run like normal. Her crop is empty and she does not have the weight of a normal bird. She is now in a dog kennel in the house. I have had to force feed it because she just does not eat or drink. She pecks - but misses the food. I have yet to see her drink water so I am starting to take a medicine syringe to squirt down her throat. Her eyes are unfocused and she seems dizzy. This is most likely from lake of food thus the lack of energy.

How do I get her to eat - I have been even cooking for her - will she soon regain energy? She is about 2 years old. She is a mix breed and gets to free range often. Her comb is better color now that she is indoors but the inside of her mouth is somewhat white so maybe she needs something specific - I am afraid she will not last long. Thanks for any help

I would also give her rooster booster (vitamins) it would help with the fact she hasnt been eating i imagine she depleted, and maybe some electrolytes (gatorade mixed in water). It might help perk her up and could she have an eye worm?

I agree. It sounds like something is wrong with her eye. If you are having trouble getting food/water into her you can look up tube feeding. Lots of good threads about it on here.

Anything to do to see if an eye worm? I never thought it could be her sight. But she does not run into things. Just really slow to peck things like in slow motion.

Anything to do to see if an eye worm? I never thought it could be her sight. But she does not run into things. Just really slow to peck things like in slow motion.

You should hydrate her well before attempting to feed her. Get a few ounces of liquid in her first. Water is needed to digest food. If you have a vit/electrolyte mix to add to the water do that. If not, a bit of sugar or touch of honey to the water for energy. But water first before food. I would then try some oatmeal or scrambled egg. If she won't eat you will have to tube feed her. You will need something soft that will easily pass through the tube, like possibly wet oatmeal, baby foods, egg yolk, etc. Pale mouth is not a good sign. Has she ever been wormed? Now is not the time, she is much too ill, but that could possibly be the problem.

Hen ate and drank on her own for the first time in who knows how long last night. She drank lots this morn and then ate. Soft food is what I have been giving her. She only is interested in eating food when I hold it up close to her face. She drank lots when she knew it was there in her face. Her beak was all dirty and she did not clean it off like chickens normally do. She let the food dry on her beak. The thing is, she acts drunk. I realize she is weak. I will continue to try to feed and heal her but what a chore!

If she has something wrong with her sight, how do I check? Eye worm? That does not sound good or curable

Hen ate and drank on her own for the first time in who knows how long last night. She drank lots this morn and then ate. Soft food is what I have been giving her. She only is interested in eating food when I hold it up close to her face. She drank lots when she knew it was there in her face. Her beak was all dirty and she did not clean it off like chickens normally do. She let the food dry on her beak. The thing is, she acts drunk. I realize she is weak. I will continue to try to feed and heal her but what a chore!

If she has something wrong with her sight, how do I check? Eye worm? That does not sound good or curable

It does sound like something is wrong with her eyes. Are they grey or can you see cataracts? Can you post some good pics of them without flash?
Once when I had low blood volume one of the symptoms I had was big black spots in my vision. That went away after my issue was resolved. So, if she hasn't been eating or drinking that might explain the vision problems. I don't know much about eye worms but there is much info on this forum if you do a search. I'm sure lack of nutrition is her biggest issue right now. So I would get her the vitamins and keep her well fed and see if she improves. She may need to be wormed with a good wormer but I would wait until her system can handle it and she is stronger.

Back
Top Bottom