slow to develop? or one is a rooster? [updated with pics]

jgervais

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Jackson, MI
I know I need some pics - but its hard to get these chickens to sit still to get a decent enough one... ill try again later today.

I have 2 barred rocks, same age 16-17 weeks - they came from townline hatchery, I'm not sure if they are from the same hatch or not; I bought them via the local feed store.

Over the weekend I rushed out to make sure the hens had enough water because one of the barred rocks faces seemed so pale in comparison to the other i thought maybe she wasnt feeling well from the heat. She has more black, less white barring, a pale peach/pink face and almost no bottom comb at all. My other barred rock has a very red face, more white barring and a larger very red comb (not a huge comb, just larger than the other)... is it possible one is just maturing slower than the other?

They are 16 weeks old. Other than what is listed they look very similar.
I have an EE rooster that is very much the dominant and crows all the time.
I have not heard a peep from the barred rocks other than some clucking... but I assumed they were both hens, so honestly havent paid a ton of attention to their individual noises.

I thought by 16 weeks I would know who is who.... did I miss something? Could one just be behind the other in maturity?
Ill post pics soon.

Last edited:
I have seen pullets that young redden up but the extra white makes me think you have a roo...the pullets are more black while the roos have more white...

There are several ways to tell the gender of Barred Rocks. The females will have a splash of black on the front of their legs, while the males will have yellow legs. The females will also be more black then the males. They all develop at their own pace. Pictures would definitaly help.

Here's a few pics showing the two barred rocks I have to compare - they are the same age, Im wondering if the one is developing slower, or one is actually a roo.... What I dont get is why at almost 17 weeks there is no signs at all that this is a roo? no mating, no crowing, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.... i do have a dominate EE roo - maybe this one is just sitting back and letting him do the 'work' ?

The one i think is a Roo
87281_imag0761.jpg

This is presumably a hen - same age as the other, face is much less red with no comb
87281_imag0756.jpg

The Roo (again)?
87281_imag0754.jpg

The hen again....
87281_imag0751.jpg

I think you've got two pullets. I have 2 BR pullets and a BR cockerel the same age right now- the cockerel is much lighter and more finely marked and has saddle, hackle, and roo tail feathers. I see none of those on yours. As for the pullets, they're both from the same hatch. One looks like your suspect "roo" and is already laying while the other one has even less of a comb/wattles than your second one and is nowhere close to laying. Like people they develop at different speeds.

I say pullets...

my pics, one of my roos, and my pullet:

68634_dsc_0115-3.jpg

(PULLET)

68634_br.jpg

(ROO)

**his legs are yellow, hers have the splash of black, he is about oh, 20 or so weeks, she is 16
He is lighter in coloring, where she is darker....

Whew - this is a relief... I think I can agree two pullets. I did check out their legs and both have that slight splash of black - also I didnt realize how much white the Roos really have - the one I suspected as a Roo has a little more white, but not comparable to the pic posted of an actual roo.... thanks for sharing those, it helped.

Back
Top Bottom