slow to feather

emmapal

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 30, 2012
Kyle, TEXAS!

What breed of bird is this? I got a 'grab bag' of purebred hatching eggs. It is 3 months old already, hatched June 29th, and still is not fully feathered. It was very naked for a long time compared to the other hatchlings the same age. It is 4 toed, feathered shanks, yellow legs

What breed of bird is this? I got a 'grab bag' of purebred hatching eggs. It is 3 months old already, hatched June 29th, and still is not fully feathered. It was very naked for a long time compared to the other hatchlings the same age. It is 4 toed, feathered shanks, yellow legs

it looks like some type of brahma or coachin hmmm i have a brahma chick out side looks exactly like him i hav no clue wat it is

i think its a golden brahma because they take a while to feather and they loose all that gold on there back and new ones come im not entirely sure though

Its either a Golden Laced Cochin or a Golden Laced Brahma, though I've never seen the latter variety/breed before. A photo of the comb would help; Brahmas have pea combs and Cochins have single combs.

The color pattern is Golden-Laced. Depending on the comb type, it could be either a Cochin or a Brahma. A Cochin has a single comb, and a Brahma has a pea comb. Pretty bird!

Comb is still very small and immature. Are cochins this slow to mature? Entire body is still just down, and neck feathers just barely filled out

Comb is still very small and immature. Are cochins this slow to mature? Entire body is still just down, and neck feathers just barely filled out

Well, judging by this photo, the comb is a single-comb. So your chick is a Golden-Laced Cochin. The comb is somewhat developed/red, so I'm going to say cockerel for now. But post new photos in a few weeks; by then, its gender should be more obvious.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom