SLW sex

philosophiexo

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2019
Lake Lure, North Carolina
These are my two SLWs, I bought them as day old pullets but does the one not look like a cockerel? They are 8 weeks. Is it too soon or do you guys think it was sexed incorrectly? Is my Henrietta is a Henry?

Attachments

• 3E95A47B-EC58-4CC2-AD30-098DE6496472.jpeg
    3E95A47B-EC58-4CC2-AD30-098DE6496472.jpeg
    517.5 KB · Views: 22
  • D6CDA8A4-5434-4A5D-B517-25EF1B63D0EC.jpeg
    D6CDA8A4-5434-4A5D-B517-25EF1B63D0EC.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 20
I havn't, I havn't even heard of a SLW:idunno
Silver-Laced Wyandotte.

Have you ever had a SLW roo? I have had hens but not Roos I’m curious about how big they get and if they’re mean
Decently large, but not giant.

As for meanness, well. I've never owned one, only seen them, but it's really hard to generalise with most breeds. With Production Red roosters, I can pretty much promise that almost all will be mean. With Barred Rocks and hatchery RIRs, you've got a pretty good chance (but still, a chance. About 1:3, in my experience) of meanness. Most other breeds are really hit-or-miss (Yes, even silkies) and you'd have to have upwards of ten roosters at a time to even begin to generalise. And even then, you could only generalise based on your method of raising them, and from which hatchery they came. I know a lady who keeps a Wyandotte rooster, and she says he's nice, but that's one chicken. Hardly a significant figure.

Silver-Laced Wyandotte.

Decently large, but not giant.

As for meanness, well. I've never owned one, only seen them, but it's really hard to generalise with most breeds. With Production Red roosters, I can pretty much promise that almost all will be mean. With Barred Rocks and hatchery RIRs, you've got a pretty good chance (but still, a chance. About 1:3, in my experience) of meanness. Most other breeds are really hit-or-miss (Yes, even silkies) and you'd have to have upwards of ten roosters at a time to even begin to generalise. And even then, you could only generalise based on your method of raising them, and from which hatchery they came. I know a lady who keeps a Wyandotte rooster, and she says he's nice, but that's one chicken. Hardly a significant figure.
Right. I know meanness is more nurture than nature, in my experience smaller roosters are meaner, but I think it’s because they end up being “beta” roosters and get laid less so they’re grouchy, I’m not sure it actually has anything to do with breed. Usually my “alpha” roosters are nicer ‍

Human aggression is both genetics and management, often more about genetics. It's possible to 'tip' a bird in one direction or the other, but truly nasty cockerels are born, not made.
One of my (store bought) cockerels started attacking me by eight weeks of age, in the brooder! It was funny, really, this tiny bantam coming at me with his little stubby hackle feathers raised, as though he was ten feet tall. Like a rotten little toy dog...
This cockerel didn't reform, or last.
An adult Wyandotte rooster is beautiful!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom