SLW Young Roo - What do you think? Pics included

McSpin thank you. I can honestly say I have learned a lot over this past year of owning poultry. And maybe why I haven't had luck in finding great show stock is because of production. And in all honest production is more what I need. I live on a working cattle ranch and deal with working cow horses. Our animals are for production and work. We do show our horses, but not halter classes and they would never win. But then halter horses would never be able to do what our cow horses do either. I enjoy my hobby of guinea pigs and do the show stuff there. My chickens will be for eggs, meat and production period. So I will quit worrying about good show stock and enjoy what I have. I got the information I needed from here and thank all that posted.

I think the biggest thing I have learned is that hatchery vs show really is all in what you do with your birds. Neither are perfect and neither are better than the other. (God knows my cuckoo silkie with light skin and a single comb from a show breeder wasn't worth the $50 in eggs.) They just have a different purpose. Chickens after all are for producing eggs in the first place. I agree with you there McSpin.

Heck, the reason I had so much trouble getting SQ PRs is that their fertility and lay is significantly reduced. Many breeders hold and grow out everything they hatch because it's so low.

These gals lay every day, go broody and are gentle, generally quiet birds. I will improve things but I don't need show stock. I just want a truer version than the stipled hatchery stock I started with, and a continued eye to dual purpose, so size is an issue. But I'm sticking with my emphasis on birds smart enough and strong enough to survive free ranging, birds that lay well, and eventually produce a decent sized, dual-purpose bird.

ere is a picture of our 2008 rooster......good quality SLW are really hard to find. They fully mature at 18 months.....

Folks, anyone interested in any kind of wyandotte needs to look at that picture, thats the body style a wyandotte should have.

From the picture, that is one of , if not the best, Silver laced Wyandotte I have seen. He has had to have won some shows , no?

I didn't mean anything insulting by saying "hatchery" stock. I've had many hatchery birds in my life....and I've had chickens for pretty much all of my 56 years. The OP asked for an opinion on her roo and I honestly didn't think the qualities she's waiting on to appear are ever going to happen with him. As long as she is happy with him, that's what counts. I just think people who want to buy better quality birds from "breeders" need to make sure what quality they are really selling.

Quote:
I think where some people get a little confused is the use of words like "quality" and "hatchery stock". A quality bird to a person looking for lots of eggs, would have nothing to do with being "show quality". They may want a quality egg layer. The "hatchery stock" may be just the kind of high quality they're looking for. However, very often the responses assume they want show quality.

Quote:
thanks pipermark....
smile.png
How is your billy goat doing???

Quote:
Sorry to hijack, but walkswithdog, I have PR's. I have no clue on their quality but I could maybe attempt to send you eggs if your interested. I've never shipped eggs before though.

Quote:
Sorry to hijack, but walkswithdog, I have PR's. I have no clue on their quality but I could maybe attempt to send you eggs if your interested. I've never shipped eggs before though.

If you can get pictures of their chest pencilling I can tell you if I can use your lines! I'd love to have another line that would work to add in. I shipped my first eggs, it's not hard. (I really can stop hatching any time I want ... NOT!) Thanks
smile.png

Of course I also wouldn't mind eggs from Rodriguez's Barreds either... oh pretty...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom