1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Small Bantam with runny nose and sneezing/coughing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PeepersTheHen, Apr 12, 2017.

1. PeepersTheHen

PeepersTheHen New Egg

Apr 12, 2017
    Oklahoma
    I have this small Bantam hen, who recently just started to cough/sneeze and has a running nose. The nasal discharge is clear, so I'm not sure what to do. I've been keeping an eye on her and the other two hens (which are copper Marans) and she's the only one who's doing it. She's acting completely normal, still laying she's not lethargic at all, but she just is sneezing. I don't know if this could be the cause of the weather right now where I live, that has started this reaction (because a few of my rabbits are doing the same thing) but I don't want to have to kill her if I don't need too. I just need to know if this is something I should be worried about spreading to my other two hens or what. Any help would be great, haven't been into the whole chicken thing for all that long.

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Seperate her to be safe. Keep her warm and give her some electrolytes in her water. You can put her under a heat lamp or something to keep warm. She needs to stay dry too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by