Small Chick Orders

horsewishr

Songster
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
West Michigan
After reading the horrible fiascos that some people have experiened with their chick orders this spring, I'm really counting my blessings.

I had three chicks shipped from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio (to Michigan) last month. I receieved FOUR healthy chicks. They arrived on day 4 our their lives (because the hatchery couldn't ship on Presidents' Day). All were very healthy and boisterous, despite temps in the SINGLE DIGITS. I was quite amazed.

So was I stupid and just lucky? I had been reassured by the Hatchery that they'd do just fine--but in retrospect, I don't think it was wise. Does anyone else have any experince with small orders (good or bad)?

I ordered 7 from meyer's small order program - got 8 pullets.

I got them early Tues morning (in NC) Other than the shipping costing more than the chicks (which I do understand), it was a great experience!

Quote:
I completely understand, too. And where else can you get four pets for under $45.00??

How do you know that your 8th chick is a pullet? I'm wondering about my extra chick. . .

A pullet is a female chicken under the age of one year old. After that, she is called a hen.

A male chicken under the age of one, is a cockeral.

Did they pack them any differently? Can you take pictures? I am going to be sending chicks and would like to insure their survivability as best I can. If 4 made it in the cold, did they do anything special to the packaging? Just asking.

Yes, they were packed with a heat pack. They were in a very small box, which was packed with what looked like shredded paper bags. There was just enough room in the "nest" for the four chicks. Honestly, I don't know if the heat pack was still providing heat when they finally got here. There were VERY drawn to the heat lamp in my brooder box!!

Sorry, I can't post pictures. I threw everything away.

Back
Top Bottom