Small chick recovered from runny eye, first egg today :)

Quote:
We buried the fence about 2 feet down. Yes, the chickens were out at the time. It was at night, and we didn't have the coop done at the time, so we put some of the little chickens in a really nice and big dog crate, and the others in two bulky, sturdy boxes. The coyotes actually pried the dog crate door open and got all the small chickens. I really miss my wheaten ameraucana named Kiwi. She was so small and gorgeous........
hit.gif

Wow, well, two feet will stop everything I've read about. Our fruit trees even have screened-in root balls because of diggers. Bah! Unbelievable that they'd get through the crate.
sad.png
So sorry. Your information will undoubtedly save others though...

I've doubled-over the wire for now. Kind of offset the second layer to cross the original, so that there are no openings over 1/2". Think that will do for now?

I think it will be fine. We used horse fence for ours. Are you using chicken wire?

Quote:
How cute!!! Again, congratulations!! I know that she will pay you back with plenty of eggs in the near future..........
big_smile.png

Quote:
That is such a great picture, you would never know anything was wrong with her. And the roo too great work.
thumbsup.gif

I am mama duck to a lone duckling that mama doesn't want. She is 5 days old this morning and we are in love, because of her rough start my grandkids have named her Hope. All the other chicks are doing great, Most are now on their own except for the last 3 that hatched they are 3 weeks old. So great to hear your good news.
I believe in Miracles!!!

Quote:
Yes, it's the somewhat thicker (and cheaper!) kind for drywall. In the run I have ply up about 16", and the wire above and below (buried) another 16". Also over the top. I do have chain-link around the top half and may cover that with smaller gauge as well. I have doubled-over the wire in the coop. They're out in the run from about 11am 'till 6pm, when I've only seen rabbits around. I'm usually out in the yard somewhere and can keep an eye out!
smile.png

Quote:
How cute!!! Again, congratulations!! I know that she will pay you back with plenty of eggs in the near future..........
big_smile.png

That would be great! She's still skittish, but comes around for cherries-- her favorite. Sugar while they're young!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That is such a great picture, you would never know anything was wrong with her. And the roo too great work.
thumbsup.gif

I am mama duck to a lone duckling that mama doesn't want. She is 5 days old this morning and we are in love, because of her rough start my grandkids have named her Hope. All the other chicks are doing great, Most are now on their own except for the last 3 that hatched they are 3 weeks old. So great to hear your good news.
I believe in Miracles!!!

I was wondering about your new profile photo! Lol... so adorable! And perfectly named by your little ones. Glad to hear they're doing well.
smile.png
Any names for the wee ones?

Last edited:
Quote:
big_smile.png

That would be great! She's still skittish, but comes around for cherries-- her favorite. Sugar while they're young!
big_smile.png

That's right! I didn't know chicks like cherries!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom