Small Coop Substitute? Rubbermaid Shed (PICS)

CluckU2

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
I don't have chickens yet, but I'm making arrangements ahead of time. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a small coop and don't think I could build an adequate one. I only want 2-3 chickens. I found this on Walmart.com and am wondering if it might work. I could prop the top open just slightly for ventilation and leave just one side open for chicken access. Would this work? Please let me know what you think. Modifications? Size? etc... Thanks!

Store all your garden equipment and more in this horizontal shed by Rubbermaid.
$198.54

Rubbermaid 135-Gallon Horizontal Storage Shed:
Ideal storage solution for tools or other outdoor equipment and accessories
Hinged roof with prop bar
Tough, durable floors
Lockable doors
Molded-in groove for one shelf; shelf not included
Interlocking, easy-to-assemble panels
Model: 374801
Measures: 28" L x 55" W x 36" H

0007169139285_500X500.jpg

0007169139285_AV_215X215.jpg

0007169139285_AV1_500X500.jpg

Last edited:
I think it would be large enough for 2-3 chickens as long as they could get out during the day. How would you keep it secure from predators if the doors are propped open? or would you close it up at night. And you would need to be very careful, as it would probably get hot inside, in the sun.
I have a rubbermaid deck box that I use as a cathouse. It was easy to cut holes so I could reach in and they could get in & out.
I also use a larger rubbermaid shed as a coop.

Good luck

Imp

Quote:
The (people) house I'm trying to buy has a "dog run" as the entire side yard and I was going to make it into the chicken run. I would put the coop on the side of the house inside what is now the dog run and they could have free access to the entire side yard (standard suburb size side yard) with the coop available inside the run. I would probably have to cover the run at the top of the fence to keep out good jumers and flying predators, but no biggie. I think I would only need to close the coop at night in the winter. I live in Northern California, just barely at the snow level (very little snow, an inch or so).

That's roughly 2x4 ft. By the numbers you can keep two chickens in that. Can you build something more than that for 200 dollars. Chances are you can. Keep in mind you will also need a run.

Quote:
That's the whole point of the side yard enclosed. It would be the run.

You could fairly easily make something much nicer and more *functional* for less than $200. You'd need to add a BUNCH of ventilation (not just holes, either!) to that rubbermaid thing to make it work, which would be a goodly piece of work and I would also be a bit concerned about how well the doors etc would stand up to concerted attack by a dog or raccoon.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

I have this one for my gardening pots. I don't think it would work. The walls are double layered with air in between. Cutting out expose the 1" intermittent airspace and you would have to fill it some way. Kind of hard the way it is shaped. It is curved in most places too. Plus it looks bigger then it actually is. I've seen vinyl ones at Costco that are full sized sheds, which I think are much better suited. Plus you can put up bars etc for them to sit on.
Katharina

As well as the concerns already mentioned.....there are no windows or light when the doors are closed............
and what about a nesting box...I agree that you could do better.I see nice coops on craigs list all the time.
Good luck, have fun.

I love the idea. My wife thinks I am crazy because every time I see an outbuilding or a travel trailer or pretty much anything in a back yard I say, "Nice chicken coop." I actually converted an old dog house into a 3 hen coop and it didn't cost anything for materials. If you could find an unwanted dog house it would blend in well in your dog run. Your weather there is probably a lot like we have here in Portland, OR (an inch of snow a year) and other than chipping the ice out of the water dish the girls never have much trouble in the winter. I agree that if that baby is in direct sun you could be baking the flock come summer time. If you can leave it open and secure all sides of the enclosure (especially at night) that would be fine. As to furnishings, a milk crate with some straw makes a nifty nest box. Any stick of wood that is a couple inches across can be a roost. Then you just need to add food and water and you are in business.
I like the idea, but if you really want to keep the cost down keep thinking outside the box and you might come up with a cheaper alternative. Can the girls have part of the garage? Anyone in the 'hood have a shed or play house they want to get rid of? Even an old camper or truck cover can be used depending on your aesthetic. I really want to build one out of a scrap piano. You see those all the time on Craigslist and I think it would be hilarious. Good luck and welcome to the flock!

Last edited:
I would think the biggest thing would be that it doesn't have any ventilation. To make my coop I went to a used building supply store and got a free old bathroom cabinet with 2 cabinet doors and a drawer (no counter on top). Then I nailed on a roof and a back nestbox. It was super cheap. For ventilation, I poked out the top drawer and stapled a screen. So easy!

Back
Top Bottom