Small coops: What does the inside look like?

Sunshine Flock

Crowing
Sep 27, 2017
Northern California
I converted an old shed to a chicken coop. The interior is about 33 square feet, and I have five hens and a rooster. I've only done the bare bones basics for them in there and am trying to figure out how to optimize the space.

Do you have a small chicken coop? Would you mind sharing some photos?

Poop boards, boy did I try to go without. But in a small coop it's just not a wise use of space. So I'm going to install pooper boards under the roosts. This will allow me to put food and water stations under the board on the right side of the coop, and the nesting boxes underneath the roosts on the left side.

But I feel like there's more I can do, and yet I'm drawing a blank. I'd love some inspiration by way of photos, folks! Thanks!!

Got a photo of your coop?

I have 20 sq ft but that is only for roosting at night.

JT

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2018-01-12 05:15:03.png
    Screenshot at 2018-01-12 05:15:03.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
I converted an old shed to a chicken coop. The interior is about 33 square feet, and I have five hens and a rooster. I've only done the bare bones basics for them in there and am trying to figure out how to optimize the space.

Do you have a small chicken coop? Would you mind sharing some photos?

Poop boards, boy did I try to go without. But in a small coop it's just not a wise use of space. So I'm going to install pooper boards under the roosts. This will allow me to put food and water stations under the board on the right side of the coop, and the nesting boxes underneath the roosts on the left side.

But I feel like there's more I can do, and yet I'm drawing a blank. I'd love some inspiration by way of photos, folks! Thanks!!
I have been looking though out the forum at photos for inspiration and i have so much my head hurts :D Good luck :)

I have to say, as much as I love leaves and pine needles in the coop, it really darkens the interior. Pine shavings really brighten things up. When I get the second window on the east side put in, that'll help. I might also add a large framed photo of myself and the husband, something dorky with goofball grins to remind them who their mama and papa is and cheer them up on dark rainy days.

I'm not kidding. I'd love to do that!!!

So once I get the new roosts in today, I'm going to start looking up and see what I can put up higher for them. Some kind of ramp system they can do a little hop up to for more interesting places to hang out during rainstorms. There's one area that's below the ventilation vents (don't think I need both of those words, eh).

Anyhoo, I do intend to post photos, I'm not just not so good at making that happen. No Smart Phone! And my camera is pink and got drop kicked in a road and isn't faring too well these days; probably mostly because it's pink.

I might also add a large framed photo of myself and the husband, something dorky with goofball grins to remind them who their mama and papa is and cheer them up on dark rainy days.

I'm not kidding. I'd love to do that!!!

Great idea on the posters inside. It will cheer up your chickens. I also know chickens like music. Maybe this poster on another wall would remind them of good music.

Electric-guitar-axe-shaped-electric-guitar-shaped-electric-guitar-personality-electric-guitar.jpg

I might also add a large framed photo of myself and the husband, something dorky with goofball grins to remind them who their mama and papa is and cheer them up on dark rainy days.

I love it, this idea gets all of my bonus points for the day!!!

Great idea on the posters inside. It will cheer up your chickens. I also know chickens like music. Maybe this poster on another wall would remind them of good music.

Gotta show this one to hubby. I think that guitar would be painful to play.

Electric-guitar-axe-shaped-electric-guitar-shaped-electric-guitar-personality-electric-guitar.jpg

Back
Top Bottom