Small Duck Pond with Biofilters - Please help with design specs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by smithmal, Apr 3, 2017.

1. smithmal

smithmal Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    Maryland; Carroll County
    I'd like to install a duck pond for 5-6 ducks.

Here's my criteria:
    1. Low maintenance/low cost
    2. Circulating
    3. Seasonal (will close down in winter)
    4. Filtered (biofilter + skippy filter)
    5. External pump

What I'd like to do is basically make a 8' x 6' x 3' floorless box which I'll place a pre-molded pond liner into. I'll fill the box with sand to help with leveling off the pre-formed liner. Outside of the pond I'll have an array of filters to help deal with the buildup of organic matter.

The array will go in the following order:

1. Skippy Filter
    2. Stone bio filter
    3. Plant Bio filter #1 (5 gallon size)
    4, Plant Bio filter #2 (5 gallon size)
    5, Plant Bio filter #3 (5 gallon size)

See rough pic here:

[​IMG]

Questions:

1. Do you think this design is sufficient for keeping this size of a pond clean, if not, what should be altered?
    2. What plants should be used in the Plant biofilters to provide the best filtering process?
    3. What external pump should be purchased?
    4. What else am I missing?

Thanks,

smithmal

2. StarCreekFarm

StarCreekFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    I have a 350 gallon polyfoam Rubbermade livestock trough that I have put in the ground up to the lip. I use a 150 gallon Rubbermade trough for my Skippy filter and have native blackberries that grow on the top of the Skippy. Because my Aviary is in a remote part of our farm there is no power, so I power the water flow with a Rule 550 Bilge (Boat) pump connected to two 30 Watt solar panels wired in parallel (to create the 60 W the pump needs). When the sun hits the panels the pump turns on -- and provides a great flow and filtration. When the sun is down or it's cloudy, the filtration doesn't run. It's kept that 350 gallons well filtered for more than a year, with up to 8 ducks using the pond.

I would use plants in the biofilter that your poultry enjoy eating. I'm not brave enough to eat anything that is growing in the Skippy!

3. Yoles32

Yoles32 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2017
    I am designing one now, similar size. Using Behlen plastic 8' diameter, 2' deep stock tank, and three 55 gallon plastic food grade drums for filters. Still working on how to connect everything and the right pump. Thinking a solar pump with battery backup so it still runs at night.

4. kistner

kistner Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    smithmal, how did your pond turn out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by