Small egg in yard???

Pics
I took the egg out of the incubator today to candle it, and the yolk is frozen!? When I turned it, I heard a sound that sounded like there were little pieces of gravel in it. I candled it and saw some little pieces!? What in the heck is this!? I will break it open later today and post pics.
Sounds like everything that was inside it has dried up and rattling around in there. I think you're lucky it dried up rather than getting full of bacteria and exploding inside your incubator and covering your incubator with rotten smelly egg. Thats what usually happens to bad eggs if not removed in time.

Sorry for the late post! I dropped it on the ground and it shattered, the egg yolk was dried up and hard against the sides. It look like shattered hardened tree sap. I wondered what made the egg dry up like that. I have never had that happen before. So that is the end of the small egg I found in my yard.

I would suggest that it was a Dove egg, Mourning or Eurasian Collared-Dove. They are one of the few wild birds that will attempt a nest at anytime of year.

I would suggest that it was a Dove egg, Mourning or Eurasian Collared-Dove. They are one of the few wild birds that will attempt a nest at anytime of year.
I am just curious, what reptiles are laying eggs right now, in Washington state? I have not seen a snake or turtle in months, and I am in Texas. Just say'n.

I am just curious, what reptiles are laying eggs right now, in Washington state? I have not seen a snake or turtle in months, and I am in Texas. Just say'n.
I believe it was a reptile egg from last year. Turtle eggs and such always hatch the year after they're laid, which means they're in the ground all winter. Raccoons and skunks can smell them underground and frequently dig them up to eat them. They carry them away and eat them. I'm guessing one just got dropped, that happens all the time.

And the fact that the yolk dried up during incubation confirms it was a reptile. They need extremely high humidity to develop correctly.

Back
Top Bottom